Author Topic: Free shipping from Amazon to Singapore  (Read 110385 times)

Offline dsj88

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Free shipping from Amazon to Singapore
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 12:30 »
It's happened to me once, when I used comgateway.  I had ordered something from Time Life, which doesn't ship direct to SG.  Although the item itself was below SGD400, and internal US shipping was FOC, for some *#&$#@#% reason Customs decrees that when shipping is FOC, a percentage is added as the nominal shipping cost -- which took the overall cost to just over $400.  So I had to fcuk out GST.

Corrected for you.  ;D

Offline qrm

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 08:31 »
Still not so easy, I even wrote to them saying the system is a crock of shitte, their reply in true 3rd World call centers style, makes it even more confusing, are they saying I can go ahead and order anything and they will refund the shipping cost?

Hello,

I am sorry to know that you are being charged for shipping although you are trying to place an order worth more than $125.

While most AmazonGlobal items sold by Amazon.com are eligible for FREE AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping, items sold by sellers and fulfilled by Amazon.com aren't eligible.

To make things right for you, I'd request you place an order selecting the free super shipping and write us back we'll refund the shipping charge if there will be any.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

XXXX

I hope this helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon. 

Best regards,
M K

Room 1: Onkyo 608, B&W MT30, additional PV1 sub, Crowson A300+ transducers x 4, Onkyo BD507,   PS3
Room 2:  Onkyo 608, Kef eggs 3005SE, Samsung BD 309, PS3, Samsung 55 plasma.
Room 3: PS3, Samsung 55 inch plasma
Room 4: Emotiva UMC-1, UPA-2, UPA-7, OPPO 93, B&W MT30, Pansonic AE4000 Crowson Transducers x 4
Room 5: Onkyo 608, B&W MT30, Samsung 65 inch, Samsung BD
Room 6: Pioneer BCS-FS500
Room 7: Mirage Nanosats+sub, sonos
Outdoors 1: Sonos and Bose green bucket speakers.

Offline dXter

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22 »
Ya anything that is eligible for free ground shipping

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 14:13 »
Wow, I just tested the system with LPs, CDs and books, and it really IS free shipping!
This is going to hit the local stores HARD! The LPs and CDs on Amazon are so cheap!

This will be a real game changer in Singapore, but I suspect the government might do something to collect tax on it.

Offline aegis0129

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 14:46 »
Well the cheng hu does collect GST if it exceeds $400 which includes shipping. I feel kinda bad for B&M shops but then again it's my hard earned money so we need to optimise the spending. I don't mind buying locally if prices are within a few bucks/small % mark up but some things are really seriously overpriced compared to overseas.

Offline etnt

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 14:55 »
Some stuff with free shipping and not-avail/cheaper than local

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sr_1_3_acs_h_1_2581449011&node=2581449011?ie=UTF8&qid=1371106237&sr=8-3-acs
Ziploc vaccum bags with pump. Works great to prevent freezer burn.
Ziploc big bags

Philips shaivng heads
http://www.amazon.com/l/ref=sr_tc_sc_2_0_pp_0/5538989011/?pf_rd_r=0A583A2F5CD24B229D09&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=norelco&pf_rd_p=1436531442&pf_rd_s=structured-results-2&qid=1371106328&sr=8-2-tc
As an eg. The RQ12 is USD51.88 with a $5 clip voucher (final price USD46.88) vs local price of SGD89.90.

Certain Dri
http://www.amazon.com/Certain-Dri-Roll-On-Anti-Perspirant-Pack/dp/B001F0QX1E/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371106441&sr=1-1
For those with sweaty armpit. Works as well as perspirex and much cheaper.

Offline silencer13

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 15:03 »
Well the cheng hu does collect GST if it exceeds $400 which includes shipping. I feel kinda bad for B&M shops but then again it's my hard earned money so we need to optimise the spending. I don't mind buying locally if prices are within a few bucks/small % mark up but some things are really seriously overpriced compared to overseas.

What I think is that the chenghu might lower that $400 GST limit to catch more fish.

Offline aegis0129

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 15:05 »
I'm waiting for this guy to come back down to one hundred bucks. 
Shavers are bloody expensive here! I think a similar one here is $300+.

Offline aegis0129

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 15:07 »
What I think is that the chenghu might lower that $400 GST limit to catch more fish.

They actually recently increased the limits from $400 to $600. But this only applies to stuff you buy when travelling by air not online unfortunately.

Offline silencer13

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 15:07 »
Any reason why Philips and not Panasonic or Braun?
I'm looking for an electric razor too, and it seems like Panasonic's the best in the market.

Offline aegis0129

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 15:15 »
Mostly based on reviews and cost vs features. I had one which lasted close to 7 years before dying recently. Back to using blades but those Gillette blades are pricey! Maybe should just go back to the old school wet shaving with soap and cheap blades. The only thing is I miss the convenience of an electric shaver esp when time is precious in the mornings.

Offline etnt

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 15:15 »
aegis: http://www.harveynorman.com.sg/home-appliances/personal-care/grooming/philips-shaver-rq-1250.html, agree that shavers are crazy ex locally, but sometimes need the warranty. Compared to just buying the spares

silencer13: personal preference bah, tried braun before and it cut too close for me, causing razor burns. Stuck to philips after that; and prefer shavers with a self washing system for ease of maintenance, so panasonic is out for me.

Offline silencer13

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 15:20 »
They actually recently increased the limits from $400 to $600. But this only applies to stuff you buy when travelling by air not online unfortunately.

Well, here's my train of thought for what it's worth:

The biggest landowner in Singapore is the government and it's GLCs. They collect the lion's share of rents.
If their tenants start closing down one-by-one, they're going to be badly hit.
Right now, they can charge a very high rental because the tenants can pass the costs on to their customers. But what if the customers had an alternative now?
If the tenants close down because of the direct impact of online shopping, I think the government will do something to protect their own interests.
You can't stop online shopping, so the next best way is to put them on a more even footing with BnM shops - so charge a GST regardless of amount, just like BnM.
This will do 2 things - deter online shopping to a degree, and put money back into the government's coffers.

Of course, just my conjecture. Maybe our government is benevolent after all, and won't interfere in private business............  yeah, RIGHT!

Offline etnt

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 15:27 »
Not that many pple are that into internet shopping for physical products yet. Friends and colleague around me were excited about the free shipping news, but when asked further if they have bought/intend to buy anything. Most of them don't.

Anyway more items of interest.

For those who are taking care of elderly at home, adult diapers can be shipped free too and cheaper than local with more variety and size options.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_eb?rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A3760941%2Cn%3A3763261%2Cn%3A3763391%2Cp_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011&ie=UTF8&qid=1371108411

Offline aegis0129

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 15:33 »
aegis: http://www.harveynorman.com.sg/home-appliances/personal-care/grooming/philips-shaver-rq-1250.html, agree that shavers are crazy ex locally, but sometimes need the warranty. Compared to just buying the spares

I guess it depends on the price differential, in this case if I can get it at the price I want ($125) then it is almost 60% off the local price. I'm happy to forgo the warranty and buy another one if it spoils.

Well, here's my train of thought for what it's worth:

The biggest landowner in Singapore is the government and it's GLCs. They collect the lion's share of rents.
If their tenants start closing down one-by-one, they're going to be badly hit.
Right now, they can charge a very high rental because the tenants can pass the costs on to their customers. But what if the customers had an alternative now?
If the tenants close down because of the direct impact of online shopping, I think the government will do something to protect their own interests.
You can't stop online shopping, so the next best way is to put them on a more even footing with BnM shops - so charge a GST regardless of amount, just like BnM.
This will do 2 things - deter online shopping to a degree, and put money back into the government's coffers.

Of course, just my conjecture. Maybe our government is benevolent after all, and won't interfere in private business............  yeah, RIGHT!

Even if you factor in GST, things can still be a lot cheaper online. I'm very comfortable buying things online even if it's a blind purchase, my first purchase was back in 1999 and I still have the receipt for keepsake.  ;D Everytime I'm in the states for work I will use up my full 3*70 pounds quota, can never understand why things are so expensive here. The only thing cheap in SG I would say are meals if you don't mind eating at kopitiam or hawker center. Besides that the only other thing is public transport.