Author Topic: Is LS3/5A 15 ohms speaker better than the 11 ohms LS3/5A speaker?  (Read 26867 times)

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
Why is the assumption always not having enough power , not having enough current, if we have lousy amplifier and assume so many other variables tp distort the case then how can we be decisive in anything at all?

Same amp, drive 8 ohms only 50 watts, drive 4 ohms 100w, 4 ohm speaker easier to drive. Period.  Simple.

(Audio)

Bro cool down ....... I think we all understand your point, but I think what they say are "higher impedance require less current , lower impedance require more current" , it should have nothing to do with enough power or current or not.

Yes nowadays most amp have no difficulty in driving lower impedance, but base on personal experience,provided both speaker are in good working conditions, when comparing 11 ohm and 15 ohm LS3/5a using same modern amp, I believe most ppls will still find 15 ohm sound is more effortless and lively than 11 ohm ....

But the best match with 15ohm LS3/5a is still the tube amp with 16ohm output tap, I tried with leak , Quad, Mc 16ohm output tap before,  the sound is magical and can play really loud without bottom up.

Most ppls will not realize how charming the 15ohm LS3/5a sound is until he hear a good condition pair match with correct tube amp.

Offline jerome_the_lang

• Trade Count: (0)

Same amp, drive 8 ohms only 50 watts, drive 4 ohms 100w, 4 ohm speaker easier to drive. Period.  Simple.

(Audio)

A sentence worth archiving for all eternity.
Main System:
Sources: EMM Labs TSDX / DAC2X v2
Amplifiers: Sony TA-E1, TA-N1
Speakers: Sony SS-M9ED
Cables: Straightwire Crescendo and Serenade interconnects, Straightwire Serenade double run speaker cables

2nd System:
Sources: ELP Laser Turntable, Project RPM9.1x with Otofon 2M Bronze, Pass Labs Aleph Ono
Amplifiers: Pass Labs XP20, X350
Speakers: Sony SS-M9ED
Cables: Pro-Ject RCA CC Phono cable, Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, Straightwire Crescendo double run speaker cables

Offline fgchong

A sentence worth archiving for all eternity.

Georg Ohm won't be happy with this, but I think he is to be blamed for all these mis-understanding of his theory, why did he came out with such a simple formula and yet so complicate and difficult to understand. ???  ???
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 14:59 by fgchong »
ARC Ref 10; ARC Ref 10 phono; ARC CD9; Goldmund Telos 1000+; Thoren TD550 with Koetsu Jade cart & Plixir PS ; Clear-audio Master Innovation with GF Statement cart & Accu drive; PS PW Bit-stream DAC, Wilson Alexia, PS P10 & Sine Gateway 2

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Georg Ohm won't be happy with this, but I think he is to be blamed for all these mis-understanding of his theory, why did he came out with such a simple formula and yet so complicate and difficult to understand. ???  ???

Yah, he would probably turn in his grave to know that the "I" in his equation is always compromised / not enough.   :)

(Audio)

Offline malsound

Offline analogue_sound

• Snr Member
Back to the original question of whether 15ohms sounds better than 11 ohms.  The link enclosed drawn a slightly different conclusion.
http://www.g4dcv.co.uk/ls35a/shootout.html/url

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
Back to the original question of whether 15ohms sounds better than 11 ohms.  The link enclosed drawn a slightly different conclusion.
http://www.g4dcv.co.uk/ls35a/shootout.html/url

If they use suitable tube amp like the Leak 12.1 to do the shoot out, the conclusion will be different....IMHO

Offline lieu9310

I think the question is "which is better 15 ohm or 11ohm"...

For me I prefer 15ohm chartwell, 15ohm black badge Rogers, 11ohm harbert gold badge... They all sound difference to me... I like the way they present the music to me...

From my experience... 11ohm ls3/5a clip when you goes loud... I don't experience any clip with any of my 15ohm... They used difference woofer... 15ohm use b110 1003 & 11ohm use b110 1228...

To me I don't care it is 15 or 11... As long it sound good to me...   :)

A good match pair of ls3/5a will give a nice, sweet, relax, 3d imaging... That i enjoy...

I think we had to look at the full chain of hi-fi system... The source... The amp... The speaker... Everything is about matching... Same for everything... You will not put a 20" rim on a Nissan sunny... A red color door on a blue car...  Etc.

I think we had to know the limit of the speakers ... It is small... It do not has extended high... Its low is not that low... But the mid is superb...

So get what you like... There are many speakers to choice from jus name a few... Proac... Kef ... Sonus faber... Etc...  ;D

Jus my two cents... Hope I had not upset any one...  :D

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
Better in what?

Sound? Collection value? Look? Price? .....

Audiophile expert,

Anyone can advise me if the 15 ohms LS3/5A is better than the 11 ohms LS3/5A speakers?

Do I need a high power intergrated amplifier to drive a 15 ohms speakers?

Currently, all the new 11 ohms LS3/5A speakers are made in China. Is the new LS3/5A 15 ohms speakers also made in China?

Appreciate someone can advise me accordingly.

Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 13:07 by joamonte »

Offline lieu9310

bro joamonte...

you hit the nail...  ;D

Better in what?

Sound? Collection value? Look? Price? .....

Offline louhan

Bro Lieu, congras to your new purchase, you really struck gold...

ROGER GOLD S/N 0853 A/B What a rare find!!!

Thanks for letting me audition it. Sound Great!!! Naturally.

ML39->SA102->S25

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
Nice......!

This pair no BBC logo on the label, solid! How do it sound compare the louhan chartwell?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 00:47 by joamonte »

Offline lieu9310

Haha... Must say to louhan's gold...  ;D

Offline louhan

IMHO, comparing between the Chartwell silver badge and Roger small gold badge, Chartwell is more layback, projects a big image, warmer and fuller mid and better bass. Roger gold excel in a much sharper image, clarity and sweetness in mid band.
ML39->SA102->S25

Offline lieu9310

IMHO, comparing between the Chartwell silver badge and Roger small gold badge, Chartwell is more layback, projects a big image, warmer and fuller mid and better bass. Roger gold excel in a much sharper image, clarity and sweetness in mid band.

haha... well said bro...   :D