Author Topic: What got you into this?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Basshead

• Trade Count: (0)
What got you into this?
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:00 »
Just a topic of interest, as I always feel like there is a need to give the Hifi/HT community a boost by injecting new blood. So I wish to ask what is the reason you guys got into this hobby... To perhaps see whether the same reasons are still applicable today! Was it a certain product or a certain someone, friend or family perhaps...

And if you are comfortable, I wish to know your age to do a straw poll on the average age of the Hifi community in Singapore.

I'll start off first... I started my audio journey at a young age of 13 in the portable audio community.. (being sucked in by the Beats by Dre branding. sorry not sorry) but I quickly discovered there was more to it than just Beats ... I was the few lucky ones that saw through the marketing fast. I frequented Headfi and am still an avid headfi fan due to my travels on public transport. Slowly after, I escalated into the Home audio by chance and the rest is history...

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: What got you into this?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:32 »
Let me jump in also😁
I was renovating my new home, and baby #2 just came along so wife and I had no chance to go cinema. So I convinced her to set up a surround system. Being totally noob, we bought a 5.1 Wharfedale system with entry onkyo AVR. Even from those tiny satellite speakers , music sounded totally different and it wowed me.
So now I have tube pre amp with SS power amp, SACD player and floorstanders, and always thinking of upgrades 😃😃

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:54 »
I was a lurking IB
I started posting fake HiFi system to establish a fake ID.
Then I realised that IB for oppies cannot make any money...

Anyone got lobangs to become PAP IBs, please sign me up

;D

I want to own better equipment than the fake list I posted below

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:56 by jerome_the_lang »

Offline KopiOkaya

• Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 14:08 »
I don't know what got me into hifi... But I can recall vividly my first "toy" when I was a toddler was cute red 1960s Lucky Goldstar AM/FM portable radio (my family was poor then and could not afford to buy me real toys). I was fiddling with the radio's knobs and buttons, and fell in love with sound from then onwards... The rest is history.

Kids these days can afford iPhone, iPad and expensive DAPs, so I doubt my case is still applicable today.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 14:21 by KopiOkaya »
Cable termination and repair services for a reasonable fee. Whatsapp Larry at 98805223.

Offline Basshead

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 18:07 »
I don't know what got me into hifi... But I can recall vividly my first "toy" when I was a toddler was cute red 1960s Lucky Goldstar AM/FM portable radio (my family was poor then and could not afford to buy me real toys). I was fiddling with the radio's knobs and buttons, and fell in love with sound from then onwards... The rest is history.

Kids these days can afford iPhone, iPad and expensive DAPs, so I doubt my case is still applicable today.

I mean maybe a kid can get a hand-me-down swivel iPod Classic and fall in love with music through those means so perhaps might still be applicable!!

Offline KopiOkaya

• Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 18:38 »
I mean maybe a kid can get a hand-me-down swivel iPod Classic and fall in love with music through those means so perhaps might still be applicable!!

Hahaha... I don’t even own any iPod before.
Cable termination and repair services for a reasonable fee. Whatsapp Larry at 98805223.

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 19:04 »
Hey Basshead this would mean that we belong to the same age group ya. Lol
I grew up listening to music, we had a JVC console that had a tuner & record player.
How I got into hi-end, don’t know think it was reading Stereophile. lol. Spend a fair bit until I started to learn diy. Now everything is diy accept my speakers.

Offline Basshead

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 20:33 »
Hey Basshead this would mean that we belong to the same age group ya. Lol
I grew up listening to music, we had a JVC console that had a tuner & record player.
How I got into hi-end, don’t know think it was reading Stereophile. lol. Spend a fair bit until I started to learn diy. Now everything is diy accept my speakers.

Thats fairly interesting! I would never diy because I do not trust my handicraft skillss... can't even make a card properly, don't even talk about electronics...

But I do like understanding the workings of electronics and design, to be able to understand why some things sound better than others... etc.

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 00:24 »
It’s nice to be learning Basshead. Just restarted my diy staff about 3.5 yrs ago after a lapse of 13 yrs or so. You’d be surprise once you start to build something that works you’ll delve deeper & deeper. The best part about it is when your able to build tweak & tune staff that sounds as good or better then commercial equipment there’s no end to it. Very time consuming to tweak & tune but the reward you get is beyond anything.

Cheers