Author Topic: Power Sound Audio  (Read 67148 times)

Offline ngsk

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Power Sound Audio
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2019, 11:56 »
Bro skate,welcome to the '18" club',once in no out liao. Good to see more members move up to 18" sub n nice to see another full KEF spks base channels setup. PSA ported subs are well know for mid bass slam,enjoy the slam!!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:00 by ngsk »

Offline skate

« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2019, 12:50 »
Yeah man like bro ngsk had mentioned to me before, go for 18 inch sub minimally. And must be at least 2. Once in no regret. The only regret is my newly built L box that is crack. 😂😂 The future will be 21 inch sub liao. And once in double no regret. This is what I think.😉

Offline ngsk

« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2019, 13:16 »
Haha, no L-box if u're planing to run bigger subs,needs lots of isolation to prevent it from 'making noise' during bass heavy scenes. Anyway now tweaking them to your preferences n enjoy what u've best liao.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2019, 13:50 »
Hi kenny,
Ya I will seriously consider removing my L box to improve my HT experience but hor my hse is just newly renovated.😭

Hi desray,
Yup I using full KEF setup. Just that my surround back is using the Q series and not the R series. My atmos up firing speakers r from elac btw. Always wanted to have a listen at ur atmos up firing setup but don have the chance.😂😂

Maybe tmr or this coming Sun afternoon if you want to have a listen...BTW, a wise choice to get the Q series for surrounds...R series will be "over-kill"! The weakest link for you maybe the Elac Atmos speakers.

Offline skate

« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2019, 14:55 »
Ya I really would like too but sad to say that I need to work on Sat and sun as I am a shift worker. Maybe next time.😊

For the elac up firing speakers, I find it still not bad. Good value for money as it is not too ex.😂😂

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2019, 15:37 »
Ya I really would like too but sad to say that I need to work on Sat and sun as I am a shift worker. Maybe next time.😊

For the elac up firing speakers, I find it still not bad. Good value for money as it is not too ex.😂😂

Ok.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2019, 14:29 »
Yeah man like bro ngsk had mentioned to me before, go for 18 inch sub minimally. And must be at least 2. Once in no regret. The only regret is my newly built L box that is crack. 😂😂 The future will be 21 inch sub liao. And once in double no regret. This is what I think.😉

Stick to the 18”s, if needed, add few more 18” stack , that should be end game... 21” will have different type of delays etc... stack or all 4 18” corner load, then let the subs cruise, don’t drive it too hard, different feeling when there is adequate headroom and subs in cruising mode..

Offline ngsk

« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2019, 09:17 »
Stick to the 18”s, if needed, add few more 18” stack , that should be end game... 21” will have different type of delays etc... stack or all 4 18” corner load, then let the subs cruise, don’t drive it too hard, different feeling when there is adequate headroom and subs in cruising mode..

+1
The main reason i suggested to go for min 15" if possible 18" sub is the low end extension should be there liao unless otherwise,can add more if needed. Another reason is to 'kill' that 'what if',this will 'kill' the ungrade bugs as well can save $$$ in long run.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #263 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50 »
Skate, few suggestions after looking at the pics. Try this if possible

Move both subs one each at left right corners behind the mains

Move the mains forward away from the walls

Move your centre channel slightly back to form an arc with mains

For the centre speaker, there could be problems placing it inside the cabinet. You will experience a phenomenon known as “ comb filtering” , where the frequencies and energies are not able to dissipate.what follows is a type of “hollow” sound that takes away clarity.  If you can, Place it on TOP of the  console instead, right at the edge of the console.. Don’t slot it into that cabinet hole. Another alternative is to Ensure enough acoustic absorption behind the centre speakers and the sides, to absorb that reflection within the cabinets

Next use your minidsp, time align the subs (chances are don’t have to) due to it being equidistant. Then blend subs with mains before EQ

This should bring the entire system up to the next level

Offline skate

« Reply #264 on: August 13, 2019, 17:26 »
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your feedback. Ya maybe I msg you about my constraint as I do not know how to post pic.😂😂 thanks.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2019, 17:47 »
Skate, few suggestions after looking at the pics. Try this if possible

Move both subs one each at left right corners behind the mains

Move the mains forward away from the walls

Move your centre channel slightly back to form an arc with mains

For the centre speaker, there could be problems placing it inside the cabinet. You will experience a phenomenon known as “ comb filtering” , where the frequencies and energies are not able to dissipate.what follows is a type of “hollow” sound that takes away clarity.  If you can, Place it on TOP of the  console instead, right at the edge of the console.. Don’t slot it into that cabinet hole. Another alternative is to Ensure enough acoustic absorption behind the centre speakers and the sides, to absorb that reflection within the cabinets

Next use your minidsp, time align the subs (chances are don’t have to) due to it being equidistant. Then blend subs with mains before EQ

This should bring the entire system up to the next level
bro! From the pictures you can roughly articulate what's better for him!

Offline whitesox

« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2019, 18:19 »
Haha, no L-box if u're planing to run bigger subs,needs lots of isolation to prevent it from 'making noise' during bass heavy scenes. Anyway now tweaking them to your preferences n enjoy what u've best liao.

Yap.. yap.. he is right! deep bass shakes everything more, not loud bass.
I was having a hard time to minimize those 'noises'... fine-tuning + acoustic foam (I pasted on the ceiling above my sub and each corner ceiling) 'tamped' down those noises

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2019, 18:26 »
Just helping a fellow member, hope to see him squeeze every juice out from the psa !

But looks like due to size constraints, there may not be much of a choice , if that’s the case, corner load the subs here at the circled area, then stack it, optimise the subs as 1 before EQ

Have the drivers face MLP (45 degree placement), use a lower LPF for LFE, approx 100hz on the Yamaha

Focus on eliminating the peaks, the peaks in the room can be annoying and must be eliminated, then use a house curve to balance the boat. U need not worry about any dips, especially in a smaller room, it’s very easy to pressurise the room with the dual 18”

If you know how to time align the subs, then do it, and thereafter align with the mains... otherwise go with this option for time being, when I’m done with my set up, I’ll pop by to help u!  Need to have a listen to the dual psa as well!

There is not much benefit co locating the subs nearfield behind MLP

The other thing is to use good absorption for your centre speaker stuffed in the cabinet, otherwise U will be listening to your cabinet sound with the speakers placed that way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline whitesox

« Reply #268 on: August 13, 2019, 18:59 »
Just helping a fellow member, hope to see him squeeze every juice out from the psa !

But looks like due to size constraints, there may not be much of a choice , if that’s the case, corner load the subs here at the circled area, then stack it, optimise the subs as 1 before EQ
Have the drivers face MLP (45 degree placement), use a lower LPF for LFE, approx 100hz on the Yamaha

Focus on eliminating the peaks, the peaks in the room can be annoying and must be eliminated, then use a house curve to balance the boat. U need not worry about any dips, especially in a smaller room, it’s very easy to pressurise the room with the dual 18”

If you know how to time align the subs, then do it, and thereafter align with the mains... otherwise go with this option for time being, when I’m done with my set up, I’ll pop by to help u!  Need to have a listen to the dual psa as well!

There is not much benefit co locating the subs nearfield behind MLP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
If it is both big low bass pressure plus that kick in the chest performance that you are looking for in a home theater setup I would suggest you use a stacked configuration located on the inside edge of one of your two front speakers... (if your room has space).

The lower subw will be coupling to the floor providing the big bloom of the lowest frequencies while the upper subw will be coupling with the mode above the floor which will provide that visceral impact in your chest that you are asking for.

You will need to do an individual phase alignment for each unit.

Small room... use stack configuration
Bigger room ... use spread configuration

you can try both and play around until you find which one suits your room the most.
 ;D

Offline skate

« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2019, 20:27 »
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I will try it when I have the time. Really appreciate it.😊