Author Topic: anyone has experience with electric recliner/manual recliner?  (Read 697 times)

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
 Hi all,

am interested to get recliners,  wonder is the electric type long lasting?

recommendation of places to purchase and if you do know the price, please state too.

thanks!
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline Yeek

• Trade Count: (0)
I've tried many types of recliners and my favourite is still the rather old fashioned and some may call ugly-looking La-Z-boy recliners. Although they are not electric, you might want to have a look at them nontheless. So very darn comfortable (although there are many models with varying comfort levels). My bad back has no problem whatsoever with them as they seem to support my lower back quite well. I have a habit of falling asleep in them ;)

They have recliners as well as incliners for space constrained rooms. You can check them out with your butt at some Harvey Norman shops.

BTW I don't own La-Z-Boy shares or work for Harvey Norman....I'm just a happy customer of them recliners :)

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
The problem when you buy cheaper manual recliners is that while the mechanism can last, the lever may not.
I've had situations where the lever broke off after some time of usage.. when under warranty no problem, after which usually costs maybe $50 to replace (due to transport/labor).
I also think La-Z-boy is quite good, but look-wise you have to see if you like them.

Electronic recliners take longer to recline which is the only thing I dislike about them. Some also have funny restriction like only one seat reclining at a time.
The positive is that they are able to recline to the exact recline angle that you want and stay there (unlike manual - you have to balance yourself if want an 'in-between' angle), but due to the speed, you may find it a hassle to get up.

Electronic recliners also have more choice of design.
For instance you can find electronic recliners which stow away the head-rest automatically, for a clean-look sofa for normal use.

Offline Wilber

thanks yeek  and  quest for the quick response.

quest,  you mean the lever on the side that trigger it will wear off easily?

is novita's  recliners reliable? 1  year warranty  sounds short
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
quest,  you mean the lever on the side that trigger it will wear off easily?
Yes, that lever.
It's because there is usually a tight tension on the lever to hold the recliner in place, and you have to exert some strength on it to release the catch.
If the lever is just a piece of plastic, it will just wear down over time. I used to use my recliner several times a day, hence the fast wearing out.

Offline Wilber

hmm,  both types have their pros and cons.  dilemma right now.
 what you said is true.  I feel that the plastic  will break off first before the mechanism.

where did you buy yours?