Author Topic: Smart Phones from PRC  (Read 843309 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Smart Phones from PRC
« Reply #7005 on: May 20, 2019, 11:24 »
End game for Huawei...

Offline tane0019

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #7006 on: May 20, 2019, 11:26 »
This will make China come out with their OS for mobile devices very soon.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #7007 on: May 20, 2019, 12:17 »
This will make China come out with their OS for mobile devices very soon.

I have no doubt that the Chinese is able to take on against the Americans in terms of innovation and hardware in due course...but if Android and iOS is going to be the 2 prominent mobile and tablet OS going forward and most of the users have invested in either one of the 2 OS, then no matter how good the hardware is, the software will not be able to take full advantage of it...I think Huawei will need to come up with a stop gap solution in the meantime using the Open Source Google Project to build up a new OS but don't expect apk like YouTube which rely heavily on Google Playservices to work well since YouTube is under Google. :(

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #7008 on: May 20, 2019, 12:50 »
Google OS is open source so Huawei phones will still work as per normal after this. Google can only withdraw access to Google Services and Google Play from Huawei phones as these are proprietary to Google. Then again hundreds of millions of China users of Android phones already do not have these apps built-in and access to Google Services and Google Play Store in China for years. Only users of Huawei phones outside of China would be affected as there would be no 'Global' version of Huawei phones that come with these banned services.
Then again, there are already many alternatives to Google Play Store some of which may be in many ways better than Google Play itself, available to Android users worldwide. ;)
https://fossbytes.com/10-google-play-store-alternatives/?fbclid=IwAR2dTSlooOKDWr1ckrOQEn7vDlv4lRfSsKIifFNOHTZ8FDP7B19brarrmF4
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #7009 on: May 20, 2019, 12:52 »
The Chinese and the Koreans have already overtaken the US for hardware and innovation tech, the OS is where they are lacking and it will take them at least another 10 years to establish their own OS for worldwide acceptance! :P

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #7010 on: May 20, 2019, 13:03 »
The first good thing that comes after this could be that Huawei will come out with an English version of their own App Store for Huawei phones worldwide. ;)

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #7011 on: May 20, 2019, 13:19 »
I think those who are worried about losing these Google apps and services on Huawei phones should quickly go out and grab those P30 Series phones that are currently available on the market as they might not be affected by the ban.
As of now, users of Huawei phones in China have reported that they can use these Google apps and services as per normal even though the ban by Google is supposed to be immediate. So it could mean that it would probably only affect new Huawei phones and not the existing ones. 🤔

Online francis wu

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7013 on: May 20, 2019, 13:22 »
Google OS is open source so Huawei phones will still work as per normal after this. Google can only withdraw access to Google Services and Google Play from Huawei phones as these are proprietary to Google. Then again hundreds of millions of China users of Android phones already do not have these apps built-in and access to Google Services and Google Play Store in China for years. Only users of Huawei phones outside of China would be affected as there would be no 'Global' version of Huawei phones that come with these banned services.
Then again, there are already many alternatives to Google Play Store some of which may be in many ways better than Google Play itself, available to Android users worldwide. ;)
https://fossbytes.com/10-google-play-store-alternatives/?fbclid=IwAR2dTSlooOKDWr1ckrOQEn7vDlv4lRfSsKIifFNOHTZ8FDP7B19brarrmF4

As of now, users of Huawei phones in China have reported that they can use these Google apps and services as per normal even though the ban by Google is supposed to be immediate. So it could mean that it would probably only affect new Huawei phones and not the existing ones. 🤔

Agreed with those external sites that host individual apk files for downloads...but I'm referring to more seamless "integration"  of Google-specific apps like their Google suite - Maps, Calendar which heavily rely on updated versions of google playservices and plugins to optimize user experience.

Update: Previously I mentioned that I can't seem to install apps from Google Store - Well, I guess I have being paranoid here, after a reboot of my Huawei M5 tablet, it is working fine (for now). :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7014 on: May 20, 2019, 13:24 »
As of today...
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-suspends-huawei-android-access,news-30111.html

Excerpt from the article: "While Huawei has enjoyed strong sales in other parts of the world, that's potentially threatened if its phones won't have access to future Android updates or if future devices won't be able to access Google Play."

Thanks Uncle Francis...that's my biggest fear :P

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #7015 on: May 20, 2019, 13:45 »
For Huawei users’ questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov’t requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.
— Android (@Android) May 20, 2019

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/?fbclid=IwAR1GQHdzJbzICXwHIeWcbFG6ad6muVnLB9P2E_v6ElNLV69_FlkMhHWGkTM

Online francis wu

« Reply #7016 on: May 20, 2019, 13:54 »
Android is an open source OS so no problem for OEMs/Developers to code the softwares necessary to extract the features and upgrades if they want to, question is whether they want to take that route!
Just wondering if the Chinese ban iPhones in China, Steve Job will rise up from his graves and point his finger to you know who ;D

Online Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7017 on: May 20, 2019, 13:57 »
What does this mean for Huawei users?
Huawei will no longer get Google's security updates and technical support, and any new devices will no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps.

Existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes, as well as update Google Play services. But if Google releases a new version of Android, Huawei won't be able to offer the update on its phones.

Huawei can still use the version of the Android operating system available through an open source licence.

Offline tane0019

• 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #7018 on: May 20, 2019, 15:35 »
now it seem that huawei will have hard time getting all the key components & ICs needed.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-intel-qualcomm-and-other-us-tech-firms-cut-supplies-huawei

This will also affect huawei network biz.

Online francis wu

« Reply #7019 on: May 20, 2019, 15:45 »
It will be interesting to see how the Chinese Government reacts...trade war is imminent, better stock up everything that has MIC tag on it ;D