Author Topic: dCS Vivaldi Thread  (Read 23059 times)

Offline murphys33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: dCS Vivaldi Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 06:16 »
At that level differences will not be a day and night difference. Dcs, msb, CH would likely have slight differences in presentation. I find that the differentiating factor for me is musicality and this is not easy to achieve. I was using emm labs and found it losing out in Hifi attributes to many high end dac... But I still found it musical relative to other offerings... In a way, a limited wallet imposed a bias and kept me from changing.. :)

Offline jerome_the_lang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 18:16 »
At that level differences will not be a day and night difference. Dcs, msb, CH would likely have slight differences in presentation. I find that the differentiating factor for me is musicality and this is not easy to achieve. I was using emm labs and found it losing out in Hifi attributes to many high end dac... But I still found it musical relative to other offerings... In a way, a limited wallet imposed a bias and kept me from changing.. :)

....was using.....

That means you did changed eventually

What you changed to and why?
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline joeling

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 18:47 »
My dealer told me mostly software update but for one hardware - a streaming network card to be installed in the upsampler. For use with spotify, Tidal etc.

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 19:22 »
....was using.....

That means you did changed eventually

What you changed to and why?

I did not changed out of my emm labs. I bought a lampizator golden gate. I think the reference to this dac in the ps audio direct stream thread got me curious- started reading up as this is not a well known brand here in Singapore. Read that several users in various forums overseas switched out of their msb diamond/ dcs / trinity etc to get this. While I do not typically subscribe to such reviews, it did get me curious about the hype around it. I eventually auditioned it locally and liked it enough to commit to one.
I have heard the msb and dcs. Think differences in presentation is not night and day - more  like shades and nuances. So your mileage may vary depending on yr inclination and music taste. On that note, I did sell my Aurender S10 for a W20 and felt that it was not worth the differential in price and I could well have been much better off keeping the S10.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 20:21 »
At that level differences will not be a day and night difference. Dcs, msb, CH would likely have slight differences in presentation....

Thats a common perspective… but IMHO there are significant sonic difference even among the top players, not necessarily day and night “good vs. bad”, but different enough, especially when… (a) you know what to listen out for, and (b) the analog conversion architectures are substantially different.

The top vendors have in-house designed and built proprietary DAC implementations for good reason, it's their key sonic value proposition – MSB, dCS, EMM, PBD.  But, vendors like CH (and others like Soulution, etc.), either don't have the expertise and/or resources in-house to build their own, so they just tweak off-the-shelf merchant silicon from the likes of TI, ESS etc. (and mark-up to an exorbitant price :P), but are easily superseded when next-generation chips appear on the market by sub $2,000 DACs ;D.
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 06:44 »
My dealer told me mostly software update but for one hardware - a streaming network card to be installed in the upsampler. For use with spotify, Tidal etc.

I assume your dealer is A&L? Get the DAC upgrade firmware from them, thats already available through the dealer networks… You’re going to be utterly and completely blown away by mapper 1, filter 5 settings on SACDs. That alone takes dCS another notch above the very top of the game :)

Offline joeling

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 21:54 »
Exactly what A&L told me. Mine is enroute but I am out of town until weekend.   :'(

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 21:36 »
Not long now :)

Offline joeling

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 22:03 »
A little update on the update  ;D. Map 1 filter 5 works as advertised. Made me the toast of the town when friends came to visit whether local or out of town.

Now need to sell the Esoteric stack...

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 22:11 »
A little update on the update  ;D. Map 1 filter 5 works as advertised. Made me the toast of the town when friends came to visit whether local or out of town.

Now need to sell the Esoteric stack...

Map1/Filter1 is pretty stunning as well actually; has a significantly wider bandwidth than filter 5 ;)... Want fatigue-free long listening pick Map1/Filter5... Want to hear every breadth intake or pin-drop in the recording, pick Map1/Filter1 ;D

Offline joeling

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 12:04 »
AndrewC,

Thanks for the tips.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 00:52 »
Finally, an off-board Network Bridge done right; Dual-frequency Word Clock inputs, FPGA, proper PSU, Dual-AES, Encrypted DSD, SDIF-2 (non Encrypted DSD), Ethernet, USB, DoP/native DSF, WiFi, Tidal, Spotify, RoonReady (soon), etc.

Designed For legacy dCS platform owners, all the way from Elgar to Scarlatti (i.e. non Vivaldi/Rossini), and works with 3rd party DACs too ;)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 08:46 »
About time ;D

https://roonlabs.com/partner-dcs.html

ps: dCS owners looking to license Roon can get a redemption code from dCS.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 20:57 »
dCS LAUNCHES LIMITED EDITION VIVALDI ONE DIGITAL MUSIC 
SYSTEM, MARKING THIRTY YEARS OF UNRIVALLED EXCELLENCE

Limited to just 250 uniquely numbered pieces, it puts an integral CD/SACD transport alongside the latest dCS Ring DAC in a single box, together with state-of-the-art network streaming functionality.

Vivaldi One also supports all major lossless codecs including MQA.

At the Munich show dCS will also be demonstrating MQA decoding running on the dCS Rossini. Final software update with MQA decode on Vivaldi expected later this year  ;D

Offline durianlover88

• Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 21:30 »
Sui!! All-in-one wor...no need cables :)

Broler AndrewC you hooting this?
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388