Author Topic: Why are we allowing these spammers?  (Read 10883 times)

Offline queks

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • XtremePlace.Com Forever!
    • XtremePlace
Re: Why are we allowing these spammers?
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49 »
There is some Russian syndicate that is spamming all forums, they use some software to find forums, then they actually manually register an account to start spamming. I know because I manage a forum for a client and we've received an increased amount of fake registration attempts recently, and they are usually from .ru accounts.

Patching won't help. The trick is to make it more difficult for them to register and to start new threads.
You can start by having an email verification system for registration, so they need to receive a verification email and click the link before they can login.
Then for posting, just set a minimum number of posts before they can start a new thread, maybe they need 10 posts before they can start a new thread.
The first should be available as a free plugin for SMF, the 2nd should already be a feature.

This won't stop everything, of course, but it makes it more troublesome for them to spam.
What you mention here had been implemented many years back. It still does not stop spam from robot. There are many ways to spam and usually all these are done by spam software.   
*** XtremePlace ! Don't leave home without it ! ***

Online silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 17:16 »
What you mention here had been implemented many years back. It still does not stop spam from robot. There are many ways to spam and usually all these are done by spam software.   

Don't think it's implemented, I still see spammers with only 1 post count being able to start new threads.

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 19:47 »
see this to believe in the 1 post scammer bots...

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=245216.msg1187817#new

;D
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 20:43 »
Guys, pls hit the Report to Moderator button if you spot any spam. Do your part and we'll do ours.

Offline kelvinsin

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 08:03 »
There is some Russian syndicate that is spamming all forums, they use some software to find forums, then they actually manually register an account to start spamming. I know because I manage a forum for a client and we've received an increased amount of fake registration attempts recently, and they are usually from .ru accounts.

Patching won't help. The trick is to make it more difficult for them to register and to start new threads.
You can start by having an email verification system for registration, so they need to receive a verification email and click the link before they can login.
Then for posting, just set a minimum number of posts before they can start a new thread, maybe they need 10 posts before they can start a new thread.
The first should be available as a free plugin for SMF, the 2nd should already be a feature.

This won't stop everything, of course, but it makes it more troublesome for them to spam.
Actually what is the purpose they spam the forum just with some meaningless sentense and no url redirect to other website?
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Tannoy Revolution XT6, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800, HSU ULS15 MK2,Philips S9700,M55B, Sony 47W804
Stereo: Auralic Aries Mini, Music Fidelity M6i

Online silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 08:39 »
Actually what is the purpose they spam the forum just with some meaningless sentense and no url redirect to other website?

Usually their spam has a URL.

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 10:20 »
Usually their spam has a URL.
Usually those ridiculous post in marketplace just some paragraph without meaning...
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Tannoy Revolution XT6, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800, HSU ULS15 MK2,Philips S9700,M55B, Sony 47W804
Stereo: Auralic Aries Mini, Music Fidelity M6i

Online Jag

• Global Moderator
  • I predicted overhead spkrs 10 yrs ago.
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 00:11 »
Queks,

Why not prohibit members with less than 100posts from starting a new thread?
ATMOS and Auro ready! 15 surr spkrs . Time to optimize

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 07:25 »
Agreed with Jag, of late there has been a sudden surge in spambots hailing mostly from Russia and even China. This is getting out of hand...almost everyday we have spam attacks despite the forum s/w upgrades etc. If we can't do it at software level, human intervention in the form of "lock down" on certain key features such as limiting creation of post or even at pre-registration stage should be "strengthened". You may need to spend some time to read the SMF community forum to see if there is any form of resolution to this teething problem which only surface in the last couple of months.

Offline queks

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • XtremePlace.Com Forever!
    • XtremePlace
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03 »
Check my reply in mod corner
*** XtremePlace ! Don't leave home without it ! ***

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 08:55 »
Queks,

Why not prohibit members with less than 100posts from starting a new thread?
Good idea, maybe 50 is enough, as most spambots are brand new members..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:44 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2016/03/my-setup-march-2016.html