Author Topic: Music and Concert Blu-ray Recommendations & Discussion  (Read 101503 times)

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
Music and Concert Blu-ray Recommendations & Discussion
« on: October 31, 2012, 18:41 »

Filmed at the MEN Arena in Manchester on 16 December 2011, this stunning Duran Duran live show is the perfect combination of great music, amazing visuals and iconic style which has been the band's trademark throughout their career. Following the release of their acclaimed All You Need Is Now album, this concert combines new songs from that release with their classic hits. Whether in the studio or the live arena, Duran Duran are masters of their craft and this latest concert bursts with energy and oozes class in the way that only they can.

1) Return To Now
2) Before The Rain
3) Planet Earth
4) View To A Kill
5) All You Need Is Now
6) Blame The Machines
7) Safe (In The Heat Of The Moment)
8) The Reflex
9) The Man Who Stole A Leopard
10) Girl Panic!
11) White Lines
12) Careless Memories
13) Ordinary World
14) Notorious
15) Hungry Like The Wolf
16) (Reach Up For The) Sunrise
17) Wild Boys / Relax
18) Rio
19) A Diamond In The Mind (Credits)

I am blasting this at this very moment and I am thoroughly enjoying the concert. PQ is excellent and the SQ is crazy outstanding. I really feel I am in the midst of the crowd in Manchester!  I must say Simon le Bon and company are in fine fine form. Camera work really takes u into the concert too.

I know I know... U are looking at the track list and u are moaning "where is Union of the Snake, New Moon on Monday..."  :'( Well the good news is Come Undone and Is There Something I Should Know are part of some bonus features which I have not checked out yet. Only sad spot for me is they didn't do Save a Prayer, my absolute fave DD tune but I forgive the chaps  ;D

If u are a DD fan, u must pick this up  :-*

PS - I got this at Gramo for $29.90  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 13:20 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline westendboy

Re: Music and Concert Blu-ray Recommendations & Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 13:38 »
Thought I should change the title of the thread so anyone can recommend some cool music BDs  ;)

I didn't like Radiohead's The King of Limbs. It just didn't grab me and feels too self-indulgent. In fact I would say after The Bends and OK Computer, every album feels too experimental but there are always still 1 or 2 gems in the later albums. Except TKOL... terrible. It's the type of album that if u love it u will love it but if u hate it u will hate it. Then I saw this BD... Wow!

This is not a concert BD. It's a gig played in chronological order of the album in a basement studio somewhere. The cameras just captured the entire process of a band on a zeitgeist. I had no idea there were 2 drummers, heck I thought it was just a drum machine!  Thom Yorke was in his element as the rest of the band. The songs which never sat down well with me now take on a life on their own. The unintrusive cameras managed to capture the craft of the band who really has nothing else to prove. I am in love with the album now. PQ and SQ are excellent (DTS HD-MA 5.1) and the only special feature is a bonus song, Supercollider.

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline n3wk1d

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a newbies, be nice to me....
    • Alex Steelbook link
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 16:20 »
Here You go, great price from Amazon USA and Amazon.de

Duran Duran Concert @ USD15.85                           King Of Limbs @Euro21.99

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 16:30 by n3wk1d »
If you are buying from Amazon, please help me by clicking from the link    AMAZON USA  |  AMAZON UK    

Offline n3wk1d

• Alex Steelbook link
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 16:29 »
Got both in immediately after your recommendation.
TWO THUMBS UP for DURAN DURAN. Thank you for the recommendation, I too raised both my hands and clap when I watch this. WOO HOO...

Here You go, great price from Amazon USA and Amazon.de

Duran Duran Concert @ USD15.85                           King Of Limbs @Euro21.99

If you are buying from Amazon, please help me by clicking from the link    AMAZON USA  |  AMAZON UK    

Offline westendboy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 19:43 »
Will be checking this out later tonight  :P

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 23:09 »
Will be checking this out later tonight  :P

Would love to your comments on this release, as a die hard Coldplay fan, it is disappointing to me. No doubt it is good to document the tour since the release of their Mylo.

They chosen the interval speech right after each adrenaline song! Prehap what they(from their perceptive) are trying to present to us, the fans, the best few tour setups to date, showcasing the best they recorded and compiled, released an meaningful one as an appreciation.

I will rate Picture at 6.5-7 out 10, can't complain as the visual effects they had planned were good though, at times, too grainy. On audio, bad, probably 5 out of 10. I had heard good audio release from them, live in BBC etc.  Not sure is due to the director or what, somehow, I just felt that I'm rushed throughout this release, each frame was like 2-3 seconds long, switching angles here and there, compared to what I had watched so far, definitely not the best!

My overseas friend who managed to watch one of their concert live, his comment was described by 1 word, FANTASTIC! Marvelous experience! That much lifted my expectation high till I watched this! Far fetch from that, What a let-off! I still loved their colorful collaboration with their road to music, carefree and nice! This release did not justify COLDPLAY enough.

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 23:24 »
Would like to recommend 2 releases to guys here.

Somewhere - Katherine McPhee & Home - Michael Bublé and Blake Shelton still running in my mind, not the best of all, but captivated me enough.

Die die must watch & listen Jackie Evancho on Pie Jesu & O Mio Bambino Caro Medley!

Picture & sound, high quality no doubts! So far, those Had played & shown them, thumb up! Bought from Amazon, decent pricings when I bought them.

Offline naglfar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forever Underground
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 23:49 »
Got both in immediately after your recommendation.
TWO THUMBS UP for DURAN DURAN. Thank you for the recommendation, I too raised both my hands and clap when I watch this. WOO HOO...

Bro you liked the Radiohead one too? Never thought it was your kind of music...;)
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline n3wk1d

• Alex Steelbook link
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 00:15 »
Played the Radiohead twice and I think their music is fantastic, I like that guy really enjoying his singing and every song he shake like hell.
This is during my young time lah, not now. tulang sudah keras lah.

But the Duran Duran would never forget, school day song lah.

Bro you liked the Radiohead one too? Never thought it was your kind of music...;)

Offline westendboy

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:56 »
Tiktotape bro... I can understand how you feel.  I agree the PQ is below par.  At times too grainy.  The SQ is a bit iffy... for the first 2-3 songs, Chris Martin's voice is a little soft but it became ok later.  I will try the CD tmr and I pray that it's better.

The reason I wanted to check this out was becoz me and my wife were still high from last Friday's Sigur Ros concert.  I always have fond memories of Coldplay's concerts here and I have been to both of em (first with my sis and the second with my wife).  So it was rather easy for me to forgive the BD's presentation.  We really did find it fine and it didn't disappoint me.  Heck, I was pumping my arms in the air and singing  :o

I feel the camera work and 2-3 second edits kept pace with Martin's kinetic and energetic display.  The atmosphere was electrifying!  The burst of colours truly incredible.  I was lamenting to my wife why they didn't come here for a gig but when I saw the stadium in Paris which held 30000 people, I wonder if our Indoor Stadium can hold his aspirations anymore  :'(.  Well... that's why I bought the BD.

Halfway thru this, I turned to my wife and asked if she had a choice between Sigur Ros and Coldplay, which gig will she go?  She replied me instantanteously... "COLDPLAY!!!"  I know... blasmphemous  >:(... but I don't blame her. 

So I would still highly recommend this BD if you are a Coldplay fan.  It's the only Coldplay gig on hi-definition.  Just tempered your expectations and let the anthemic songs wash over you  8)

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline westendboy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43 »
I am now blasting the CD that accompany the Coldplay Live BD. Wooooh the sonics is excellent. In fact I actually think the first few songs sounded much better than the BD.

@Tiktotape, if you like to listen to Coldplay live, check out this EP of their Viva La Vida album. It was given FOC to people who attended their concerts in UK. It's one of my fave albums I used for jogging.  :D

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline naglfar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forever Underground
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23 »
I read some of the reviews on Amazon about the Coldplay BD, and it was a mixed bag. Some hated the editing and post processing. If this is anything like Sigur Ros' Inni, then I will be disappointed. I really hated what they did to the concert footage. They tried too hard to make it artsy fartsy, and tried to make it look like Arcade Fire's Mirror Noir. I hope they will release Heima in high-def. That is one brilliant music DVD.

If the Coldplay BD concert is presented similar to Adele's Royal Albert Hall style, it will be awesome. Nothing fancy - just plain good editing and brilliant SQ to go with.
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 21:28 »
This will be the next concert BD I be watching

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline westendboy

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 17:39 »
Product Description

International Magic Live At The O2 is packed with exclusive footage all on one blu-ray disc. It features Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds live at London’s O2 on Feb 26, 2012, an acoustic set by Noel at The Mod Club Toronto, the “Ride The Tiger” video trilogy plus footage of live performances from 2012’s NME Awards. “Ride The Tiger” is a 20 minute film comprising three of Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds videos – directed by Mike Bruce. The trilogy sees “If I Had A Gun….”, “The Death Of You and Me” and “AKA…What A Life!” linked together to create one continuous film (“…the most successful video trilogy of all time…” – Entertainment Weekly). The menus to this Blu-ray features snippets of “Shoot A Hole Into The Sun” - one of the tracks Noel recorded with The Amorphous Androgynous. This Blu-ray edition also includes an exclusive CD featuring all the demos for the Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds album, the B sides and the previously unreleased live favourite – “Freaky Teeth”.

TRACK LISTING
A. International Magic Live at the O2

1. (It's Good) To Be Free
2. Mucky Fingers
3. Everybody's On The Run
4. Dream On
5. If I Had a Gun...
6. The Good Rebel
7. The Death of You And Me
8. Freaky Teeth
9. Supersonic
10. (I Wanna Live in a Dream in My) Record Machine
11. AKA... What a Life!
12. Talk Tonight
13. Soldier Boys And Jesus Freaks
14. AKA... Broken Arrow
15. Half The World Away
16. (Stranded On) The Wrong Beach
17. Whatever
18. Little By Little
19. The Importance of Being Idle
20. Don't Look Back In Anger

B. Noel Gallagher Live At The Mod Club Toronto, 5th November 2011

1. (It's Good) To Be Free
2. Talk Tonight
3. If I Had A Gun…
4. Supersonic
5. Wonderwall
6. AKA...What A Life!
7. Half The World Away
8. Don't Look Back In Anger

C. Ride The Tiger

D. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds Live At The NME Awards 2012

1. Everybody's On The Run
2. Dream On
3. If I Had A Gun…
4. AKA... What A Life!
5. Half The World Away
6. Don't Look Back In Anger

Just went through a 3hr concert Blu-ray. I am lazy to type out the contents so copied the above. The makers of the Coldplay concert blu-ray should have taken a look at this. No shaky camera moves and when Noel Gallagher sings, the camera stays on him. This is a great gig. No bells and whistes, just Gallagher staying put on stage belting out anthems. He doesn't rev up the crowd and basically behave like a bloke who happens to be one half of Oasis.  He does love to drop his F bombs frequently... there's a part where a douche tried to rile him up but thankfully he didn't look back in anger  ;D. There's a large choir in the mix too.  Only the main feature is in DTS-MA. The other 2 stripped down gigs are only on stereo LPCM. I also love the accompanying well-recorded CD which features album demos and B sides. Lots of music content and compared to the Coldplay one, this one is a no-brainer. But I am a Coldplay fan  :D

One last note, pick this up only if you are a fan of Gallangher's High Flying Birds (which would have landed up in my Top Albums of 2011 thread if there's one). I think his debut album basically cemented who is the better half of Oasis.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 17:50 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline Yubaba

• I Love Dynaudio
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 18:13 »
Try Sade Concert, very interesting and innovative

I have gone down to the path of Dynaudio and it has dominate my destiny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal