Author Topic: Green Arrow hits the small screen - Arrow  (Read 10787 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Green Arrow hits the small screen - Arrow
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:11 »
Just caught the first episode. Seems promising. More potential than Beauty and the Beast's pilot.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline dankoo

Re: Green Arrow hits the small screen - Arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 15:08 »
into 3rd eps....still a couple of ?? to unravel...so far quite a solid show with the network picking it up for full season.
Samsung UA55D6400 * Deftech ProCinema 800, PB12-NSD * Denon AVR 2309 * Sony PS3 * Panasonic BDT-310

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 15:34 »
I am not a follower of Arrow in the comics. I did like his role in The Dark Knight Returns series where he played a pivotal role in the battle of Supes vs Bats. :)

I don't know how much of this is canon but so far, the arcs seem quite good. There's a lot about that lost-esque island to explore ;)

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:02 »
I'm a DC fanboy and have read a fair bit of Green Arrow comics. And this is most definitively an Elseworlds tale; and in no shape and form remotely canon.

After 3 episodes, I have mixed feelings about this show. There are a lot of things to like; but also a lot of things to dislike. And while it may be still early days yet, and gathering good ratings and being picked up for a full season, I'm going out on a limb by saying this will not last a season (and I will gladly be wrong and take it all back when it renewed!)

The good: The production value is high, the action sequences are good, and a man taking a bow and arrow to a gun fight actually looks pretty cool instead of being cheesy. The incorporation of parkour elements was actually very clever and a logical explanation of the skills he picked up while stranded on an island. (Ninja Warrior fans will recognise the Salmon Ladder  he was training in his Arrow Cave) I love that bits and pieces of his 5 yrs in the island is being slowly told in flashback; which makes for another huge overarching story being told in addition to the 'current' weekly storyline. The writing has been excellent so fast.

The bad: Forget everything you know about the comics' Oliver Queen. He was a bad ass in the comics (hell he even scares Batman) but in the show, he is nowhere near as bad ass even though he is killing bad guys left, right and centre. He is also younger and its does not help that Stephen Amell looks a little like Christain Bale. The whole 'setting up of the Arrow Cave' is just way too similar to Batman Begins (all that's missing is a Pennyworth and even that may be forthcoming!)

This Oliver also has an extended family with father (who died in the yacht he was in), a mother (who may be behind the sinking of the said yacht), a dysfunctional younger sister, and a best fren who slept with your girlfren when he was presumed dead. And to complicate the relationship dynamics further, Oliver took Laurel's sister on the yacht with him and she was killed in the boating accident. Add in the mix a detective father who is gunning for the Green Arrow and you have lots and lots of potential explosive human dynamics.

Speaking of said girlfren, she is a lawyer in the show and her name in the show is Dinah Laurel Lance. Dinah Lance is also the name of the Black Canary in the comics (and lover and ex-wife of Green Arrow). As a fanboy, I am sadden that the producers trivialised the name. Black Canary is  the top 5 female martial artist in the DC Universe. I dun expect them to put her in the series but at the least I think they should have leave her out totally.

Conveniently, his dying father left him a notebook with a list of bad guys that he need to get rid of from Starling City (as opposed to Star City). So instead of the 'monster of the week' that we get from Smallville, we have a 'bad guy of the week'. In the 3rd ep, a DC supervillian Deadshot makes an appearance. The producers has promised that other DC characters will be popping up. I can see that there is a credit for a Jessica De Gouw as Huntress (hey isn't she more associated with Bats??)

Regretfully the acting hasn't been stellar and there really isn't much eye candy in the show either. So I think you probably will have to be a comics book fan to enjoy this one.

[UPDATE] I'm been checking on what other DC characters the producers are thinking of and one name came up that has the potential to launch this series into the stratosphere: DEATHSTROKE!  :o  OMG! If they pulled it off and cast a really good Deathstroke, I think it will be epic. Deathstroke and Green Arrow has clashed in the comics book so its a natural - especially when you are talking about 2 non-super powered dudes duking it out.  (Green Arrow defeated Deathstroke through by upgrading his skills and employing some clever devices) 

[Update 2] GPGT!!  Here's a sneak of what Deathstroke will look like in Arrow. Episode # 5 Damaged telecast date Nov 7

Looks like a flashback sequence that happened on the island as opposed to the 'current' storyline.

Source: http://www.sneakpeek.ca/2012/10/arrow-damaged-november-7-2012.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 21:30 by lonewolf »

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06 »
I'm resurrecting this old thread instead of starting a new one.

We haven't talked much about Arrow since S01. While S01 and S02 were good, S03 was a decidedly mixed season and was really all over the place with the League of Assassins storyline.

Here a recap of S03 highlight reel from the SDCC.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/txwI81Gs7SQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/txwI81Gs7SQ&fs=1</a>

Regardless of its flaws, there's no doubt that the current Superhero boom on TV is largely due to the success of Arrow. And DC fanboy will be grateful for shows like The Flash and the upcoming Legends of Tomorrow.

Constantine may have been cancelled after a short 13 episodes but you can't keep a good character down. Cos CW has officially announced that John Constantine (played by Matt Ryan) will be back on Arrow.

SOURCE: Constantine Officially Set To Appear On Arrow

[UPDATE] Apparently they are bringing Constantine back to resurrect Sara Lance (which we all know will return as White Canary in Legends of Tomorrow). But frankly what's even more exciting is that the Constantine series will be retroactively linked to Arrow-Verse.

What does this means?? It mean all the juicy Easter eggs and characters that appeared in the Constantine show is now alive and well.  And while it may not eventually lead to anything, the possibility that characters like Jim Corrigan (aka Spectre) and mystical items like Paradora Box and Helmet of Fate exists in the Arrow-verse mean that the producers and writers now can expand and explore other aspects of the DC universe.

SOURCE: Arrow: Constantine Will Help Bring Sara Lance Back
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:33 by lonewolf »

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 10:18 »
With the new season just about a month away, a new trailer has been released. Take a look.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9EGda9EbZgc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9EGda9EbZgc&fs=1</a>

There's a lot of stuffs happening in the trailer but the most prominent is Oliver and Diggle new costume. Diggle costume is getting a lot of negative vibes for its Magneto-like helmet. Starling City is now Star City (finally!) in memory of Dr Raymond Palmer? (WTF!!). John Constantine is back! (hell yeah!)

And Damien Darhk (the season big guy) was also featured along a glimpse of Alexander Calvert as Lonnie Machin, a.k.a. Anarky. And then there was a certain Curtis Holt, a character based on Michael Holt aka Mr Terrific. And what looks suspiciously like the legendary T-Sphere.

What was not shown was confirmed casting Falk Hentschel As Carter Hall a.k.a. Hawkman. But we know that he will probably be just a camero since he's primarily being cast for Legends of Tomorrow, together with a certain Vandal Savage.

The trailer looks good and the whole Arrow team looks fantastic. I hope it will get its groove back cos S03 was really all over the place.

But perhaps the biggest tease is production still.

This image may have given DC fanboys an orgasmic spam back in S01 but we are now wiser and while the cryptic Green Lantern reference is obvious, this does not mean that GL or Hal Jordon is coming to the arrow-verse.

As with many of Arrow-verse shows, just the possibility of a Hal Jordon (there was a reference to a missing test pilot in The Flash last season) and a GL will have to do for now.

Perhaps if the show has enough longevity like Smallville, they may eventually have to come to that but for the foreseeable future, I wont hold my breadth. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 13:04 by lonewolf »

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 20:32 »
A new trailer for Arrow S04 has been released.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/z8HCgxHX8YE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/z8HCgxHX8YE&fs=1</a>

Damn. I din know Damien Darhk could do that! And finally after 3 season, we got our Green Arrow! (or being referred to as Green Arrow)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 21:37 »
I am the Green Arrow.

Nice :)... Like the new outfit too, much more modern.
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

Green Arrow hits the small screen - Arrow
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 22:13 »
Although I keep wondering about the exposed elbow :)

Did not see the two twists at the end. Maybe everyone is borrowing from How to get away

Ps Is there a Green Lantern in the works. Coast City, Brightest light, darkest night and Jordan references photobombed the whole episode :)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 21:51 »

Archer! He needs elbow room :P…. Besides, this outfit looks closer to the comic book versions.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 22:18 »

Did not see the two twists at the end. Maybe everyone is borrowing from How to get away

Ps Is there a Green Lantern in the works. Coast City, Brightest light, darkest night and Jordan references photobombed the whole episode :)

There were 2 twists?  ??? As for GL, I doubt so but we'll never know. Anything is possible in the future I suppose.

The Arrow NYCC sizzle reel. More fizzle than sizzle actually since there's not really anything we haven't already seen in previous trailers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8N1JAz4THwU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8N1JAz4THwU&fs=1</a>

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 09:17 »
There were 2 twists? 

For me

Twist 1 - finding out Canary's dad was working for the Rasalghul splinter group
Twist 2 - somebody died 6 months later.. not sure if the next episode will flash back between the 2 timelines

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 16:12 »
For me

Twist 1 - finding out Canary's dad was working for the Rasalghul splinter group
Twist 2 - somebody died 6 months later.. not sure if the next episode will flash back between the 2 timelines

They seem to suggest its Felicity who's croaked!  ;D

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 21:53 »
If I had a choice, I would kill Felicity too but I doubt it so because somehow Oliver does not look sad enough. So it's probably not Thea either.

Personally I'm not a fan of Olicity. It was one of the main things that was wrong with Arrow S03 and the writers seem intent to continue with this sad trajectory. But the fangirls seems to like it so I guess for now CW will pander to their demands. I would prefer if Oliver and Laurel had stayed together cos they were always one of my favourite couple in the DC universe.

[May contain spoliers if you have not watched Arrow S04 Ep 2]

Curtis Holt makes his debut in Ep 2. Supposedly he would be Arrowvers' Mr Terrific which would explain the surname since Mr Terrific in the comics is Michael Holt. What the relation (if any?) between them, I guess we will find out as the season goes on. Frankly I hope Curtis does not become Mr Terrific cos that would really be spoiling another comics characer but we'll see.

What I really like is the whole Laurel-brings-Sara-to-Nanda-Parbat narrative. We already know that Sara will be coming back this season and for Legends of Tomorrow. And that she would be revived in the Lazarus Pit but frankly I never thought it would be Laurel who would be the one who put her in the Lazarus Pit. But its a little strange considering that she know the potential side effects of using the pits. I guess a crazy sister is better than a dead sister.

I also like that Oliver is running for mayor because he really was mayor of Star City in the comics.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 22:04 by lonewolf »

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 08:29 »
If I had a choice, I would kill Felicity too ...

Hmmm.... I think she adds a certain sense of levity to the show thats perhaps missing. Besides, she's pleasing on the eye too  ;D