Author Topic: Speaker Project: Jenzen Seas ER  (Read 8145 times)

Offline fb79

• Trade Count: (+1)
Speaker Project: Jenzen Seas ER
« on: October 08, 2012, 22:35 »
I've decided against lugging these monsters to NoiSing and i'll introduce them here instead.

I really have run out of space for new speakers and decided do make one last statement pair that has some room for upgrades so as to satisfy my itch till I get my own place. 
That's was the excuse anyway...

After experimenting with a TL for my Scanspeak 15Ws, i decide to look for an existing TL design to try.   I eventually settled for a Troels Gravesen design since i've not heard any of his design before.  Design & construction info here http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-SEAS-ER.htm

The speaker boxes are finished in high gloss white laminate and bird's eye maple veneer.  The final result may not be to you or probably anyone's liking but hey, the point of DIY is to get it exactly the way I want it no? 

There are many tweeters, mids & bass drivers you can use with whilst keeping the crossover but i've started with the baseline Seas Excel tweeter and Seas Prestige mid & bass.

Commercial speaker pictures tend to make them look bigger than they are... not in this case, these are really are big! :P  Right after the speakers are fired up and playing sweet music... err, the place is alot less messy now.

Here's what the inside of the bass cabinet looks like.

After stuffing with felt & foam.  There will be another 2 bags of dacron suspended behind the woofer.

The chosen veneer, bird's eye maple

The mid-high enclosure when viewed from the rear.  What you don't see are bitumen pads underneath the felt on the walls around the woofer.  The rear panel of the cabinet also spots a perpendicular piece that will fold the lower section, extending the TL further.

Mid-highs cab & bass cab together ready to rock!

Crossover is assembled on mdf and is external.  It will eventually be mounted in a pair of white high gloss box as well

Neutrik connectors between the speaker and crossover because i hate binding posts.  This high gloss finish gives the speaker a mirror finish throughout.

Drivers
  • Tweeter: Seas Excel T25CF001
  • Midrange: Seas ER18RNX
  • Bass: Seas CA26RFX

Dimensions
  • Height: 120cm
  • Width: 32cm
  • Depth: 47cm

Weight
  • Mid-High Cab: ~25kg
  • Bass Cab: ~40kg
  • Crossover: ~8kg

Sensitivity
  • 89db 6ohm @1w/1m

Frequency Response in room
  • 30hz - 22khz

After a few weeks they have settled into the living room.  As it is an open plan room with almost no room treatment, the soundstaging and midbass punch can be better but deep bass is definitely there.  More on how they sound later...

Offline synthesis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speaker Project: Jenzen Seas ER
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 00:07 »
Kool Man, get a van and bring it to NoiSing!  :D

Offline ghemml

• GML Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 00:39 »
And a big trolley too.... :D
Gamut Magnetic Laboratories (GML Loudspeakers)
https://www.facebook.com/GMLLoudspeakers

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56 »
Bro, Very nice pics...  too bad you're  not bringing it to Noising.. it'll sure fill up the room.

Offline j45yip

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 23:17 »
...chris, you're cruel bro. can see but can't hear  :) nice job on the speakers though.
Vecteur D2 CD Transport, AN1865n-k Non-OS DAC
Thorens TD124MkII, MicroSeiki MA88, Expert Stylus 103 / Midas Touch
DACT CT100 / Custom Shunt Regulated PSU
5687 WOT Preamplifier
Behringer DCX2496
Type 45 SET monobloc / Radian950pb / AH204 Azurahorns
UcD180AN / Double Usher 15HM in Custom Vented Enclosures

Offline fb79

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:19 »
You guys are more than welcome to check em out at my place :)
Having transmission line in the mids AND bass makes them quite interesting...