Author Topic: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception  (Read 217745 times)

Offline jdc115

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception
« Reply #990 on: June 26, 2019, 16:09 »
Another dog movie for you that you make roll your eyes but may make you shed a tear instead

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #991 on: June 28, 2019, 08:57 »
What's the title? Hachiko?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jdc115

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #992 on: June 28, 2019, 09:00 »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #993 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51 »
Cant find it on Netflix here :(

Anyway... watched the extremely fluffy Dog Days

Very very lightweight but easily digestible. Great after a long day and you just want to relax.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline whyeme

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #994 on: July 05, 2019, 01:56 »
Shazam was pretty funny and had a good surround mix plus full wholesome bass :)

I was doing just the TrueHD
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #995 on: October 30, 2019, 10:50 »
Just a couple of movies I caught recently...

Combines two of my loves - racing and dogs. What's not to like?

It's not really about either. It's about the human struggle - seen through the eyes of a dog. And damn near bawled my eyes out.

Kevin Costner as the voice of Enzo the dog was just priceless. And of course I loved shots of the cars including a vintage BMW 3.0CSL.. just wow

Then Lion King. I loved the original when I watched it years ago - the complex relationship of fathers and their sons is always a powerful story but perhaps because it all seemed so familiar, I didn't quite feel the emotional impact this time around. It was almost a shot for shot remake - which is kinda odd considering CGI is kinda like animation.

Except the "photorealistic" palette they used this time robbed the movie of its beautiful imagery. The cubs/lions/hyenas all lost their individuality.

I didn't feel the power behind the loss of Mufasa as much this time because cub Simba seemed more obnoxious this time around. Or maybe it was because I had seen it all before. In fact the only time I got surprised was when Timon adlibbed the line from Beauty and the Beast ;) and just before that, when they were discussing using live bait to distract the hyenas.

I also felt Hans Zimmer's score lost a bit of an impact compared to the original. In the first movie, his score was interspersed much more seamlessly with the music from Elton John/Tim Rice. Here, the new songs and arrangements of older songs seemed to be more jarring. Zimmer's original score when Simba returned and fought to restore back was filled with melancholy and emotion. Here it was strangely muted.

And finally

It was always hard to know which alley or corner the story will take you towards. It was a whirlwind ride - starting almost like any madcap Korean comedy.. but takes a really dark turn towards the middle and the end.

That diversion in the end, just before the real ending made the ending feel like a sucker punch in the gut. And you remember the line the father said about not having any plans.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #996 on: November 18, 2019, 10:37 »
Two movies this weekend.

Angel has fallen

So so movie but Great use of Atmos.

Plot is recycled and predictable. But good action sequences.

You kinda knew the guy was gonna be a bad guy (he’s so typecast) and the mastermind wasn’t difficult to guess either.

Coco

Bought this a while back but never got around to watching it.

The story isn’t exactly unpredictable but it does have a few red herrings. Overall such a great theme and packed full of emotion. It’s just not really a theme you’d expect from Disney. It’s refreshing to see different cultures treat the concept of death in such different ways. And not a taboo for kids.

Really loved the movie.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #997 on: February 09, 2020, 20:30 »
Ford v Ferrari tonight

Despite being familiar with the recap from Grand Tour a few years back... the movie was still entertaining. Wife kept telling me to pipe down every time I saw something cool. Like a fangirl :D

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #998 on: February 19, 2020, 12:53 »
Anna

Watched this the other day. I know Luc Besson rehashes his story line but overall, I still found the story compelling and found myself rooting for the main character.

If there is one thing I wasn't 100% sure of was the final twist...

Spoiler: show
rather than have her depend on someone else who could screw her over again, she should have been the one to manipulate Mirren's character so she would help her. That would have been a bit more satisfying
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #999 on: March 02, 2020, 21:41 »

I don't see why it got panned that much.

It was entertaining and had some decent action scenes. It isn't Mission Impossible but quite an entertaining diversion

I wasn't too happy that Bosley was made a villain here but I guess the original Mission Impossible movie already had that distinction of destroying a well loved character from the TV series
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #1000 on: March 04, 2020, 14:09 »

The movie got such bad ratings that I wasn't sure I wanted to catch it. Then in the first 5 minutes, it felt like the opening scene of Fleabag - about a self destructive woman who just wasn't going to get the audience to root for.

But this is Emilia Clarke and she has that disarming charm that she showed in Me Before You even when she was being a jerk so I kinda pushed on. Maybe there is something to be said about not judging till we have walked a mile in someone else's shoes.

And I am kinda glad I did.

The highlights have to be the really good soundtrack that is comprised of incredibly aptly chosen songs from George Michael's body of work. Even songs that didn't really clique with me before - they suddenly have a new found meaning in the lyrics.

It didn't take too long for me to guess the twist at the end - but it is a Christmas movie and the redemption arc was satisfying. Interesting that the audience scores in rottentomatoes was a lot higher than the "critic scores"

I did like the use of almost harsh lighting and just the hint of make up so the actors look more real, more worn than in a glamorized view of the season.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #1001 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47 »
Just caught The Invisible Man the other day.

It's a surprising twist on the old story. The domestic violence angle is really well done mixed in with the scifi/horror element.

But I did have a question about the ending...

in the last act, it was clearly the husband who was in the prison with her - he spoke to her.

I wondered how he would have time to run back to the beach house, and get locked up then pass the suit to his brother who could then drive over to the cop's house to terrorise the daughter considering he only had a very small head start from the wife.

But then I remembered his suit was damaged in the prison. And the one the brother wore was still fully operational until she sprayed him with the fire extinguisher and shot him/the suit.

So it would mean there are at least 3 suits.. the one the brother wore, the one the husband wore and the one the wife hid...

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline whyeme

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #1002 on: May 15, 2020, 13:51 »
Just started on BSG yesterday haha. It is good! Can't believe I bot the bluray boxset in 2011 June and it took the circuit breaker for me to commence watching.
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #1003 on: May 17, 2020, 13:54 »
Just caught The Invisible Man the other day.

It's a surprising twist on the old story. The domestic violence angle is really well done mixed in with the scifi/horror element.

But I did have a question about the ending...

in the last act, it was clearly the husband who was in the prison with her - he spoke to her.

I wondered how he would have time to run back to the beach house, and get locked up then pass the suit to his brother who could then drive over to the cop's house to terrorise the daughter considering he only had a very small head start from the wife.

But then I remembered his suit was damaged in the prison. And the one the brother wore was still fully operational until she sprayed him with the fire extinguisher and shot him/the suit.

So it would mean there are at least 3 suits.. the one the brother wore, the one the husband wore and the one the wife hid...

A lot of plot holes but entertaining enough to warrant a watch!

At the beginning when she was leaving the house, thought I saw 4 dark figures on the display wall, could be the invisible suits!!

The Atmos is pretty good! :)

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Click below URL @Bass EQ for Filtered Movies!
    • Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
« Reply #1004 on: May 17, 2020, 14:12 »
A lot of plot holes but entertaining enough to warrant a watch!

At the beginning when she was leaving the house, thought I saw 4 dark figures on the display wall, could be the invisible suits!!

The Atmos is pretty good! :)

Watched this yest with BEQ.
Superb dynamics with bass punch slam.
Effects damn nice this one.

Reminded me hollow man.
The last invisible man
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR   Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z9S
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 Channel l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.4.4
M&K Sound LCR950 THX Select2 Series  miniDSP 2x4 HD\WI-DG *BEQ*
SYS 1: Dual Rythmik FV18s  Dual Hsu Research MBM-12 MK2 (nearfield)
SYS 2: SVS PB12-Plus/2

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal