Author Topic: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception  (Read 217744 times)

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception
« Reply #975 on: September 29, 2016, 06:46 »
... But one thing for sure (at least for me) is that this is the best Tarzan movie I've seen. Or maybe there weren't many good Tarzan films to begin with?

I'd have to agree it wasn't half bad. Although parts of the movie felt more like a chick-flick ;D
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #976 on: November 19, 2016, 23:00 »
At Cafe 6 tonight. Wife felt emotionally guilted into liking the movie because of the ending
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline whyeme

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #977 on: November 20, 2016, 00:32 »
DON'T BREATHE is a must watch and must own on blu. Edge of the seat entertainment and bass that pounds your innards!
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #978 on: April 02, 2017, 21:57 »
Been many many moons since I updated this thread.

My apologies.

I guess my old JVC dying intermittently meant it was more TV than movies.

But the recent tech refresh of the HT is whetting my appetite for movies.

So this last two night I've gotten a few new UHD movies I haven't watched before.

Passengers was first up.

Beautiful visuals. And with an Atmos soundtrack it was a great start to the new system. The movie itself was a little predictable. But it wasn't an all out Hollywood ending. Quite enjoyed it.

Fantastic Beasts was tonight. Topsy turvy start. Too many characters. And no one I was even slightly invested in. Having the muggle was a good way to introduce this new world of magic to newbies but the writers seemed to want to throw you in the deep end. The fantastic Beasts looked like something from China movies' cgi department. On the upside the Atmos soundtrack was phenomenal.

Not enough for me to finish the movie. We took a break and ended up doing the laundry before going to bed.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #979 on: May 20, 2017, 21:07 »
Get Out.

Wow. That was scary. No monsters.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jdc115

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #980 on: May 20, 2017, 23:59 »
And one of the best lines of the year

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #981 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21 »
And one of the best lines of the year

Which one?
ts motherf***ing a?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline whyeme

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #982 on: May 21, 2017, 12:53 »
Yeah I can't seem to recall got best line? Hmm...
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline jdc115

« Reply #983 on: May 21, 2017, 14:05 »
Final delivery of sex slave

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #984 on: May 21, 2017, 16:09 »
"I would have voted Obama for a third term if I could"
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #985 on: June 07, 2017, 18:21 »
The Great Wall

Second time for me. First time for the missus. She didn't mind it too much - though she did take offence at the idea of a Western annexation of a Chinese tale - but she's been on that bug since her PhD.

#thankyouMattDamon for teaching me to use the chopstick :)

Beauty and the Beast

Wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Most remakes end up being compared to the original which are often seen through rose tinted glasses so it is great that this remake was enjoyable - being seen with some nostalgia and still fresh enough to be different. The missus and I was wondering where the gay scene was.. it was really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Still think the Celine Dion rendition of the title theme was much more powerful than Ariana's rendition.

Prometheus

After the disappointment of Alien Covenant, we went back to Prometheus. I bought the ultimate set with 3D, 2D and digital copy but never got around to opening it - such was the disappointment.

A second viewing though made a lot more sense. And the initial pacing and build up was much better than I remembered. Which IMHO made the second half all the more disappointing. Still so many bone headed decisions!! even if they were slightly less bone headed than Covenant.

That said, it is interesting how rewatching Prometheus AFTER Alien Covenant made me see a lot more nuances that had hinted at what David would become. I have to say Shaw's boyfriend was a real DICK. He was incredibly condescending and it was also understandable why David developed into the android we saw in Covenant.

But the biggest disappointment - was
a. setting up this idea of engineers - the conclusion in Prometheus was just disappointing
b. setting up the idea that Shaw wanted to go to the Engineer's homeland to ask them WHY

and building up the idea the sequel would answer the question was why we kinda reserved judgement on Prometheus.

Then the sequel arrived - and KABOOM - whole planet destroyed, Shaw MIA. I mean that was like the biggest F.U. Scott could have delivered.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jdc115

« Reply #986 on: June 07, 2017, 19:35 »
I have a soft spot for Prometheus, it could have been a masterpiece if they didn't have what were supposed to be smart people doing very dumb things.  But I still enjoyed it but can easily understand people hating it.  There are things that are hard to forgive.

I was hoping that Covenant would be an extension but it did give a big FU to that plot line but delivered something else in David.  If they do continue the story, I wonder if he continues to the planet that they are supposed to colonize or just turn the ship around and head back to earth. That would seem to make more sense but probably doesn't not fit in with the overall timeline that has been created.   

Offline AudioNirvana

« Reply #987 on: June 12, 2017, 19:52 »
Tom Cruise's The Mummy (2017)
I used to think all Tom Cruise's movies were fairly good, but i stand corrected after the movie, some Tom Cruise's movie sucks n are at best mediocre. If u r after cgi, this movie have loads, so much so that u would prob think the emphasis is on cgi rather than a cohesive storyline.  Each scene to the next felt rushed n disconnected.  Some of the dialogue/jokes are so cold n cheesy that u could almost imagine a crow flying across at the top of screen. The chemistry between the two main leads Cruise n Wallis is nonexistent. Heard they were planning for sequels with other monsters in the frame. Hope it will not be as bad as the first.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #988 on: June 19, 2017, 10:31 »
Keanu does film noir

Or The Whole Truth

Decent cast.

And the use of the old Bogart/gumshoe narration was quite a nice touch.

Renee Zellweggeewazername was virtually unrecognizable.

There were some twists I kinda expected. But some I didn't.

I think it was just a little bit let down by Keanu to be honest.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #989 on: June 26, 2019, 15:43 »
Haven't been on top of this thread but with two dogs and work, we haven't watched movies at home for a while.

But here are a few recent ones that I thought bore a mention

The Upside with Cranston and Hart. Hart always has heart in his movies and this is no different. The adaptation from the original show's (true story) setting in Paris works in New York. Also surprising is how true the movie stays to its source material.

Cranston is brilliant in this role.

A time travel movie that doesn't bother with the rules. China has come a long way from horrible, badly edited movies of the past to make one that's coherent and entertaining. A man finds himself transported back in time and interacts with the younger version of his dad. And yes, in the credits, the writer thanks Back to the Future ;) and He Aint Heavy, He's my father. among others.

And finally the lightweight. Heavy use of CGI and heavy use of big eyes to make pull on your heartstrings.

The story is predictable and the characters are pretty 2 dimensional. But the writers do know how to make you cry.

Oh, and this isn't a movie to bring kids too. You see the poster with the cute puppy?  You'd think awww, one for the kids? The opening scene will give your kids nightmares. For a pet lover, the story is painful to watch. Really painful. Because you would try to imagine the same things happening to a real dog. And it's basically torture. So good thing there's CGI
End of Line - Derezzed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal