Author Topic: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception  (Read 215137 times)

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 22:30 »
You mean the following night?

You are right. My wife just told me it's tmr but what the heck. Gonna watch The Changeling now (not the Angelina Jolie one) and tmr nite, Ju On!

Sorry, Francis I don't have The Haunting.
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline naglfar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forever Underground
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 22:46 »
and tmr nite, Ju On!

IMHO, the scariest movie ever. This one fcuks with your mind and the scary images linger when you sleep, shower and shampoo your hair!
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 21:45 »
Time to turn down the lights... Red wine check... Glasses wiped clean... Iphones on silent

Time to let my missus meet this cute kid. She loves children  ;D

Happy Halloween dudes  :-[

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 22:46 »
I heard a scream!! :D

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 22:48 »
I heard a scream!! :D

Too scared to even scream. I heard a whimper, follow by a sob.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 00:17 »
Movie ended and we survived... but just barely. Both of us have aching arms becoz we were covering our ears throughout most of the movie.

This is my second time watching Ju-On and I already think it's one time too many. I have never forgotten some of the scary scenes - boy on every floor, black figure 'entering' the camera and of course that amazing washing hair scene. This time round I begin to appreciate the episodic narrative structure centering on different characters. The writer/director never did make it clear whether story events unfolding have happened, are happening or even will be happening in the future. This non-linear structure forces you to focus very closely to not lose track and at the same time forces the rug to come out from beneath your feet. Very unsettling indeed.

Is it a horror masterpiece?  Not to us. Most times I have a feeling the director thinks of an inventive scary moment and ties it awkwardly to the plot. For example, the police and a news report already mentioned Rika is missing but how the hell did she return in the last act?  These missteps aside I did enjoy the movie tremendously becoz it can heighten the suspense to breaking point and after that only give u a quick lull scene to calm your nerves before the next bigger scare. I love the awful sense of dread too. Great stuff.

My wife has an interesting take on the Rika, the social worker who first ventured into the house and also the last one in the house at the end. What made her special?  My wife's take is that she is the re-incarnate of the dead wife. That's why Toshio appears to her in 'human' (not the whitened form) form and follows her everywhere becoz he sees his mom. In the last scene she looks into the mirror, covers her eyes and recalls all the crucial scenes throughout the film. Hmmm... I thought that's an interesting take but...

Cannot talk anymore... we need to hug each other to sleep. Why the heck did we go scare ourselves?  Haha nobody does horror like the Japanese, Thais, HK and Koreans
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:30 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 00:28 »
You forgot to mention the blanket bro  :)

Offline westendboy

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 20:49 »
After scaring my missus on Halloween, she says no more scary movies. So this weekend's movie theme is musical. Started out with Grease and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Grease needs no intro at all. In fact my wife knew a few of the tunes (Those Magic Changes and Greased Lightning) through her line dancing days. She was just very surprised I know all the lines to Beauty School Dropout and Sandy ;D

I have never seen Rocky Horror Picture Show. Just know that it has a crazy cult following in the States. But last year's Glee episode piqued my interest and I picked up the blu. Never did watch it until I saw and read Perks of Being a Wallflower. OMG I don't know what to say. This is one of the most kooky and whacky films I have ever seen and I have no idea what's it about. But that's not to say its terrible. In fact, I think it's pretty brilliant.

Last one for this weekend will be Saturday Night Fever. On hindsight I should have watched SNF last nite  ;)

Update - Travolta is strutting down the street to the tune of Staying Alive and I am thinking this could jolly well be the sequel to his Danny Zuko character in Grease. After high school and life deals him a bad one... I just checked that SNF came out just before Grease in the following year. Interesting
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 21:34 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 21:44 »
My movie night on Saturday wasn't as big hitting.

We did Quick, a Korean action flick that had some decent high jinx action. By that I meant it looked like a lot of the stunt people got hurt making the movie. Not much health and safety. They pretty much did what you saw on screen. No CGI, nothing in the way of cushioning spills and falls.

(ps if Korean has so many cute girls, where the hell are they in this movie!?? :P)

This was followed by AirBorne. It had Mark Hamill in it and I thought, what the hell. Man, the years have not been kind to Mark. There was a suggestion elsewhere that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Hamill get to reprise their original roles several generations down. Well, Mark doesn't look anywhere as "sagely" as Alec Guinness. Ford might.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 17:51 »
Caught a few minutes of Cars the other night when it was on telly and I was at a friend's place so I decided to watch the 2 movies again.

I'm still not sold on Owen Wilson/Lightning as the hero of the first one, but Paul Newman as the mentor is nothing short of stellar. Shame he wasn't in the sequel.

The sequel's DTS HD MA 7.1 soundtrack is nothing short of superb.

I really liked the odd homage to other Pixar movies which made me chuckle. The ending credits in Cars 1 was really hilarious - making fun of the voice actor who played, Mack, the Pig in Toy Story among others.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 17:53 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline westendboy

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 21:05 »
Tonite's movies is the Infernal Affairs Trilogy. We have seen part 1 before and I myself have seen it many times. But I have only seen parts 2 & 3 not more than twice. My general impression has always been that parts 2 & 3 should never have been made becoz it kinda robs part 1 of its mythical height. But that changed when I watched it back to back.

There's nothing about 无间道 that has not been said numerous times before. IMHO this is the quintessential undercover story. The words 无间道 has become common lingo to represent harbouring ulterior motives and can even be used as a verb!  Such a brilliant and simple concept of a double mole - a police who is a mole for the underworld who wants to be a policeman, and a gangster who is a mole for the police who wants to be a police. The ending is not only brilliant, it's also daring... name one HK movie where the bad guy wins in the end. The suspense and plot is so intricately woven together that I can watch it every year and will never be tired of it.  Sure... I already know all the twists and turns but still it bears watching again becoz now I can concentrate on the acting and dialogue. This is brilliant stuff. Scorsese' The Departed is not bad too but my chips lie with the HK one.

I have never enjoyed part 2. My initial impression is that it's a money grab exercise becoz of the huge success of part 1. My impression changed today... the writers gave all the characters of part 1 their own back stories and crafted their motivations for being who they are in part 1. Some homages are just brilliant. For instance, in part 1 when Andy Lau first meets Tony Leung in a highend hifi shop, Tony tells him the system has solid highs, sweet mids and awesome lows. This line was actually uttered by Carina Lau to Andy Lau so I presumed that led Andy to buy the whole system in part 1 becoz he likes Carina a lot. There is also another one that I like... Carina's role is Mary and Sammi Cheng's role is also Mary... so is Andy really in love with Sammi or is he still in love with Carina or is he nursing his guilt for killing Carina?  However part 2 though excellent just can't match part 1. It loses a bit in terms of suspense, plot, a weak climax and feels too long. But still it is quite accomplished in its own way. And hey... Tay Ping Hui is in here, playing Francis Ng's lawyer  :o

Going to watch part 3 soon. My memory tells me it was one convoluted mess. Let's see if watching it back to back will make me appreciate it more.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 21:30 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline whyeme

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 21:22 »
I watched The Departed a few months ago. Imo no fight with the canto original. Tony Liong Chew Wai is one damn fine actor.
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 23:49 »
Part 3 is definitely the weakest of the trilogy. Had to really pay attention to the dialogue to not miss anything. A few times I was XPing and got lost.  Had to ask my wife to explain some stuff. I enjoyed this the least as compared to the other 2. This one feels longer than 2 and had such a convoluted plot with another 2 new characters thrown in. Pace is slower and that unnecessary Tony Leung-Kelly Chen love story unconvincing.  They can't even kiss properly for goodness sake.  Leon Lai walks thru this one with one expression and he even died with that same expression. His acting is always very iffy for me all these years and in part 3, I couldn't feel any sympathy for him.

The plot of moving around different time periods can be a killer. But tonite it was fine probably becoz I watched em back to back. I really like the Andy going crazy storyline but you need to watch Christian Bale in The Machinist to see a masterclass portrayal of a guy gradually going nuts.

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline westendboy

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 20:36 »
Veg out in front of my HT today  :P

During breakfast, I was whatsapping a bro about his insights on Skyfall and he told me his fave Bond flick is From Russia With Love. Since I have never seen it, in it went. Woooh... This movie is so dated that if it were to be screened in the cinemas for this new generation, I am afraid it will slammed till tomorrow. I can't believe the script... there's a scene where the Bond is on his knees and the villain says since Bond will be dead soon, he might as well tell him everything and I mean everything. OMG in these present times it wont be able to get away with it, unless it's a comedy.  One cool thing about FRWL is that Austin Powers is basically a comical parody of this.

The sky was really dark in the afternoon and it seemed like perfect weather for Titanic. This one both of us have seen before and my wife says she saw it with a guy. I frowned but she reassured me that the guy is a dork and they saw the 3hr film from the second row from the front. No need to say anything about the movie... If you have not seen this you must be a lo_er ;D. I just feel this is marvelous storytelling - using a modern framework to bookend the historical part. And I must say the PQ and SQ are out of this world. This is a must buy!

Then finally a foreign film, In a Better World, a film about violence and vengeance from different perspectives.  This film won the Best Foreign Film Oscar last year(?). I think it must have been a bad crop of films that year becoz we didn't find it good at all. Nothing like this year's A Separation and Monsieur Lazhar.

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline Doggie Howser

Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 21:05 »
I finally got around to watching the new animated Batman: Dark Knight Returns. Part One.

Pretty good adaptation. With Robocop voicing Batman.

Part Two is due out next year. With Emerson (Person of Interest and Lost) voicing Joker.

Second movie was Iron Sky. One of those bad movies so bad, it's gone past cheesy good to insanely bad.

Spoiler alert:
Palin President up for re election
Nazis on dark side of the moon sent from earth before the fall of Nazis in 1945
Even a spoof of the Hitler scene that always gets re-subbed :)
End of Line - Derezzed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal