Author Topic: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception  (Read 215127 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Great movie night - Real Steel + Inception
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 12:13 »
Oh I was quite surprised to see Karl Urban and Michelle Monaghan in Bourne Ultimatum. Michelle's role was sooo tiny that if you blinked, you missed it. I don't even think she had a spoken line in it.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline simplybochup

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • All music is beautiful.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:30 »
Another thread somewhere among the labyrinth of XP prodded me to pop in The Pianist dvd 2 nights ago. Simple story but Brody's performance was magnetic. Liked the piano music too. Hope the bd comes soon. Anyone bought the soundtrack?

Hi whyeme, the piano bluray is out.  Heard an angmoh asking and getting the bluray at HMV.  Guess great minds think alike..
Audio Setup: Avid Diva 2, Marantz SA11S2, Whest 2 Phono Pre Amp, Diva Classic SE, Diva Blue Sky Power, Spendors S3e, Slinkylink, Mogami 2803
HT Setup: Panasonic Viera TX-55AS650B 55 inch Full HD LED, Epson EH-TW6600 3D Home Projector, Onkyo TXSR646, Oppo BDP 93, AC Ryan Media Box, VR SoundWave 3.5

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 22:21 »
Tonite's films

OMG... I can totally see where Taratino got his inspiration from for Kill Bill 1  :o. Remember that sad forlorn Japanese song after Lucy Liu got her head sliced off?  It's taken from here.

This is such a guilty pleasure to watch. I am already a fan of the manga and other Japanese exploitation films like Lone Wolf and Cub, but my wife has never seen this genre of films. She just kept going OMG at all the wanton bloodletting violent scenes. If your mind is in the right place, this is an awesome experience and of course Meiko Kaji is amazing to watch! 

For a 1973 film, the Blu-ray's PQ and SQ is pretty awesome
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 22:25 »
For me, Prometheus in 3D.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline westendboy

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 23:34 »
My wife was on leave today and I myself finished off my last school assignment. Then it's back home for a movie day/night with a visit to Punggol Promenade thrown in between.

Started with Kill List. Kinda like a mindfcuk film but with a brutally violent edge. Very captivating and the director kept the entire plot close to his chest. Nothing in the first hour foretell what is going to happen in the last act. That itself should make it a must watch for more adventurous viewers. I can swear to you that the film has a way of sneaking up to you and plunging a knife in your jugular.  Definitely not for the squeamish.  I didn't realize that in the final act my hands were balled up into fists till it was over and I could breathe. Brilliant filmmaking that never made it to our shores. But I can see that there will be 2 extreme camps for this film - condemnation and commendation. I am in the latter camp.

We were both totally freaked out by Kill List so in went Seth McFarlane's Family Guy: Blue Harvest. Fricking hilarious. "Why are they called TIE fighters?" The pilots are Thais Haha  ;D

Finally, a French movie that I adored many years ago - Love Me If You Dare. Still very good after all these years. Bought the DVD after I caught it at the cinema and didn't watch it again till now. It's about a very destructive love affair but to have even loved a little like them would be amazing.  One of the most original love stories ever.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 23:42 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline whyeme

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 01:38 »
Kill List...DL in progress  ;D
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46 »
Watched MI-1 the other night.

Just some off the top of my head comments: man, Cruise looks really young. And the "bribe" amounts are hilariously funny, not unlike Dr Evil funny. $150k deposit to steal a top secret list and a mere $10M payday :D

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline whyeme

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 13:57 »
Haha. I half watched half fwd thru Octopussy recently.
The priceless egg was auctioned off for only 500k :)
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Oppo BDT-101CI. Emotiva UMC-200. Rotel RMB-1512. SB Acoustics ARA. Dynaudio Contour SCX. Dynaudio Audience 42. PSA XS30. Orisun DD+12. miniDSP Dirac DDRC-88A/BM. Plixir Elementa BAC 2500. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Zidoo H6 Pro.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Elac BS 204.2. iFi Zen Dac. Plixir Bac 800. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 23:36 »
A long weekend means a host of movies

Last night we started with GoldenEye. Still bears up after these years but barely. Just didn't like those archaic Atari-like computer graphic displays.

Next a couple of episodes of Columbo. We really like the TV series. Each episode is one case at 90min and each one follows the same narrative structure. It begins with the crime. It lets you know the motive, who kills who, how he/she does the killing. So essentially you already know everything. Then in comes Lt Columbo in his raincoat. He talks, he observes, and he gives the big reveal in the last 15min. Hence it's not a whodunit but more of a howdunit. On paper it seems to be a ridiculous structure but what made it work for more than 10 years on TV is the amazing acting of Peter Falk. He brings such an endearment to his detective character that the murderer always has total respect for him after his unassuming big revelation.

Next, Oliver Stone's World Trade Centre on blu. This is just one big melodrama fest. It lacks intensity and for something called WTC, it's cinematic and narrative angle of focusing on 2 cops and their families is just too small. It lacks context. Stone just couldn't bring out the scope and reverence of the bigger subject matter. And hey... Michael Shannon is in this. Didn't notice him the first time I saw this. Only start to notice him after Revolutionary Road.

Then, Albert Lamorisse's The Red Balloon (1956). It's a 34min short film that packs laughter, enchantment and tears. This is a masterpiece. In 34min it will pull your heart-strings in different directions and Pixar's Up ripped off a huge idea from the 34th min.

Lastly, Neil Jordan's The Crying Game. Anybody who loves film will probably know this one. One of the best films in the 90s. I thought when Dil sheds her clothes, my wife will go OMG. But she didn't at all becoz the moment she came on screen, my wife says,"Hey that's a ...!" shite... No more surprise. But still the film packs a wallop with a superb labyrinthine plot. When Jody died my wife says no more story already but it's only then one realizes that all that was a setup for the 'love' story.

Doesn't anyone else have movie nights here?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:37 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 23:45 »
OT, anyone here got a DVD copy of 'The Haunting' that I can borrow?

Tks

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 00:19 »
We did MI2 last night and then 3-4 back to back tonight.

I kind miss having Luther (Ving) in the 4th instalment but there seemed to be hints he was going to be in the 5th.

It's interesting things you catch the second time around. I didn't even notice Michelle Monaghan in Bourne Supremacy and in MI3, I didn't even know Simon Pegg was in it. I think he hadnt registered on my radar then and while I loved his Shaun of the Dead and other movies, I somehow just didn't register he was in MI3, tho I did remember him in MI4 especially after his role as Scotty in the Star Trek reboot. It's always fun to catch the who's who of the Abrams alumni :)

I'm never really sure if Abrams is having a bit of ironic fun but casting Keri Russell as the agent that Hunt trains in MI4 seemed a bit like an injoke. I remember when Alias started, they called it Felicity meets the CIA or something :) and here she was - in the CIA.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline westendboy

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 21:55 »
It just dawn on me that today is Halloween. I am gonna pop in a scary movie later  ;D

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline whyeme

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 21:59 »
It just dawn on me that today is Halloween. I am gonna pop in a scary movie later  ;D

I heard a news report that watching a horror movie burns up abt 130 calories, which is almost equivalent to 30 mins of strolling! :)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 22:19 »
You mean the following night?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 22:25 »
OT again, nobody got 'The Haunting' !!! :P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal