Author Topic: The Karan Amplifiers Thread  (Read 86597 times)

Offline Hyperion

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Karan Amplifiers Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 02:34 »
They are indeed beauties. It's a serious investment (with or without potential discounts) of course, but I do feel they offer a great deal of value compared to most of the competition. The build quality is extraordinary. The fact that Karan only releases new models (power amps) every 7-10 years historically also makes it a rather sane investment. They only run mildly hot (I've placed mine inside a cabinet with an open back), and will drive anything, anywhere - now and forever :)

Wow, M2000! I only wish I had the space and budget to accommodate these beauties. Those are truly drive anything amps. Proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove kind of sound. Only thing about those M2000 is that they need 4 power cords. A bit painful if you are into expensive cables  :)

Which amps were on your shortlist before you decided on the Karan?

Offline 5th Avenue

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 09:07 »
Hi guys,

Had the opportunity to hear the (older versions of) KAM 1200 + Mk2 pre through Adams floorstander speakers, hooked to a Marantz Sa11S2 in Jays shop a few months back.

I've on different occasions, heard the same setup (pumped at 12 o'clock) with the KAS400 and KAS180 but with the KAM 1200, the true finesse of Karan amp ie. control, slam & musicality was really at a level of it's own. In this context, if you ask me if more power is good I say YES...;)

IMHO, once you like the sound signature of the equipment get as much power as possible and progressively upgrade...but buy within your means...:)

I tend to agree with bro Hyperion, if you are into hiFi for the long haul, buying an amp is really an investment.

Cheers
High end is not about the equipments but about the music it produce

Online blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 11:12 »
Hi Blue_starfish,

If you are looking for the KAS 180 Power amp, why don't you visit Jay Audio. I am sure he has the KAS 180 in the showroom for audition. Furthermore i believed Jay will give you better feedback on Karan with Wilson.
I have not listened to the KAS 180, but i have heard that someone is using the KAS 180 to drive his Genesis Speakers and he likes it and highly recommended Karan to his friends.

I will go down to Jay once I am convinced that the potential for synergy is high. Too many variables, come into play when I listen at the shop. What he will use to demo, and what I own will have no common ground.

Offline wyaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 21:18 »
Let me revive this thread abit lolz.

Just listen to Karan400. one word, SIOK!

if you still haven't find your sound, may be Karan is the one.

Cant believe I am so close to put down my cc it eventhough the cost is way beyond my initial budget. Anyone wanna upgrade to higher lv of karan and selling kas400 or kas600 let me know!
no pain no gain

Offline Pani

The Karan Amplifiers Thread
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 13:38 »
I have heard the karan amps too. They are good but I didn't find them spectacular. Placing them among top 5 SS amps is a very tall order. Listen to some Symphonic Line Kraft or TAD amps, they are masters of this art in the SS domain. They eliminate the debate between SS and Valve when they are in action. Karan is not in that league IMHO.

I know I am sticking my neck out in this Karan fan thread, however it is my honest opinion and I do not own any of these products to add any owner's bias.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 13:47 by Pani »

Offline fgchong

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 16:38 »
I have heard The Karan KA-S400 driving both the Alto and Diva sometimes ago.  I must agreed that Karan amplifiers matched very well with focal speakers, they drive both focal speakers effortless and have very good control over the speed and rhythm of the piece of music played except that it's a bit rough in the presentation. 

You can't say the Karan is not in the same league with Symphonic Line Kraft or TAD.  At this level, it's just a difference in personal preference depending on the type of music played with these amplifiers, the matching of these amplifiers with the speakers, etc........

Online durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 16:42 »
Nowadays, audition is a very special affair with lots of caveats...showroom conditions cannot be an absolute determinant of an equipment potential because just too many bottlenecks...
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$299

Offline bluetang927

Offline Pani

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 19:42 »
I have heard The Karan KA-S400 driving both the Alto and Diva sometimes ago.  I must agreed that Karan amplifiers matched very well with focal speakers, they drive both focal speakers effortless and have very good control over the speed and rhythm of the piece of music played except that it's a bit rough in the presentation. 

You can't say the Karan is not in the same league with Symphonic Line Kraft or TAD.  At this level, it's just a difference in personal preference depending on the type of music played with these amplifiers, the matching of these amplifiers with the speakers, etc........

I agree there is a lot of subjectivity in this hobby. There are people who prefer an Arcam over Pass Labs, that doesn't mean those two belong to the same class. Class is a different subject. Some gears create it and others try to attain it. IMO Karan is at least couple of class below the best of the best. Brands like Accuphase are in a higher league, that doesn't mean one cannot like a Karan more than Accuphase, just that Accuphase belongs to a class which IMO Karan has yet to attain. There are many more contenders, Gryphon, Gamut, Goldmund, FM Acoustics to name a few.  Then there are stuffs beyond these.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 19:57 by Pani »

Offline wyaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 21:35 »
funny to have someone classify gear in this manner. I care less if one classify things base on price, brands, review, but it doesn't sound good to me its below even Arcam (since it's mentioned) :p I ever own a arcam power amp I still clearly remember it's the first time I experience deep low bass, dynamics, huge stage, airy high and sweet vocal and weight everywhere. Of course if it's setup properly :)
no pain no gain

Online durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 21:55 »
I have heard many more 'classier' gear mentioned and not mentioned sound bad in show rooms....like that how ah?
There are much more than classifying a gear higher class than another...it is about whether the right components and appropriate matching being done...phew!
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$299

Offline Pani

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 11:21 »
My intention was not to offend anyone so I apologise if I came across as harsh. I hope we could debate and discuss without getting personal.

Someone on this very same thread said Karan is among the top 5 SS amps in the world. Isn't that classification ? Isn't that equally laughable ? How could that conclusion be reached ? However that was not objected to by anyone. I took an objection because I have heard quite a few more(definitely more than 5) amps that betters the Karan in a significant way. I am not the jury, my intention was to open up the discussion.

Karan sounded nice and clean but it did not get out of the way like some other (better ?) amps do. One could still quantify its sonics in audiophile terms. But then there are amps where everything just sounds the way it should or at least it gives you the illusion that nothing could be improved, quantifying its performance becomes nearly impossible. It may not happen in every setup everytime because system synergy cannot be over looked.  But if it happens more often than not things become apparent. I did not hear anything like that in the Karan, that is why I said it didnt sound "spectacular". Of course it is my opinion which is based on various auditions. If it changes one day based on a better audition I will be happy to learn and post back here.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44 »
You might want to point out to us where it was mentioned here that Karan is among the top 5 ss amp? Cos I can't seem to find it. Seemed to me that you are the first person on this thread to say that.

Won't say they are better than other high end brands.. each has its own character, but I'd put it in the top 5 solid state amps you should audition if shopping.

Probably this one? though it is stretch to extend the original statement from it is one of the top 5 SS amps "you should audition" to "in the world".

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:46 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 12:36 »
How does one tell state of the art without owning the equipment in question ? Or having multiple setups and equipment to allow you to change various components to determine the quality of the variable in question ?

I have heard some very good setups, but whether it is the equipment synergy and setup, or a particular equipment delivering the goods, your guess is as good as mine.
Less is more !

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02 »
How does one tell state of the art without owning the equipment in question ? Or having multiple setups and equipment to allow you to change various components to determine the quality of the variable in question ?

I have heard some very good setups, but whether it is the equipment synergy and setup, or a particular equipment delivering the goods, your guess is as good as mine.
Agreed.

I just stated that they are within the top 5 solid state amps you should audition. :)
While brands mentioned by Pani like Gryphon, Accuphase, Gamut, Goldmund are good in their own regard (I haven't heard FM Acoustics in a familiar set up), I still maintain this recommendation.

The context of course, is within the usual prices most people shop at in this forum.
If someone had the mega bucks to shop for higher end exotics, unfortunately, I haven't had the luxury of hearing them in a familiar environment. I wouldn't say I know which are the top 5 solid state amplifiers in the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal