Author Topic: The Karan Amplifiers Thread  (Read 86318 times)

Offline mars73

• Trade Count: (0)
The Karan Amplifiers Thread
« on: September 09, 2012, 13:17 »
Hi folks,

Just thought I would start a thread on Karan amplifiers to share perspectives and experiences.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:48 by mars73 »

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: The Karan Amplifiers Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 13:59 »
was using 180 demo the A.G 3 and 3.1 till replace by jeff with 3.5
You change to which model ? think 5Ave also use Karan now.
think I still have the 180 int somewhere in the workshop.
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 14:24 »
nvr listen to this 600 before , but have setup the 450 with 3.1 before .
Is there a local distributor now ?
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 14:30 »
That is good , more can listen to this good and relaiable AMP.

All posts

Online 5th Avenue

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 18:12 »
I don't have a full fledge Karan set up, pairing my KAS400 with ARC Ref5SE.

Karan has a very distinct sound and though it's SS it sounded warm...but not tubey.

I am trying very hard to resist the KAL RefMk3.... ;)

Cheers
High end is not about the equipments but about the music it produce

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 22:12 »
Agree with some of the above comments, I think Karan is a good amplifier that has a distinct sound.
The dynamics and bass control of the bigger amps are its forte, and it has quite a natural tone and weight to the sound. This helps in some systems.

Won't say they are better than other high end brands.. each has its own character, but I'd put it in the top 5 solid state amps you should audition if shopping.

Offline Hyperion

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:14 »
Happy to see a dedicated Karan thread! I would love to discuss the mighty Karan amps with fellow owners. I'm using the KA M2000 monos myself, partnered with an Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse preamp.

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:42 »
Happy to see a dedicated Karan thread! I would love to discuss the mighty Karan amps with fellow owners. I'm using the KA M2000 monos myself, partnered with an Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse preamp.
congrats, good to see you finally went ahead after all those comparisons..

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:07 »
Wow, M2000! I only wish I had the space and budget to accommodate these beauties. Those are truly drive anything amps. Proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove kind of sound. Only thing about those M2000 is that they need 4 power cords. A bit painful if you are into expensive cables  :)

Which amps were on your shortlist before you decided on the Karan?

IIRC he had a long list.. :) but unfortunately he didn't get to hear many due to his location, and had to rely quite abit on 3rd party views.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=101395.0

I guess after looking at ASI he just picked karan. hehe

Offline flowerpower

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 15:54 »
Must have been quite an experience. This just goes to show that there are a lot of hidden dragons out there. You can say by the same token, a lot of false prophets too.

I had the pleasure of visiting a friend whom i have met in Adelphi (he graciously helped me setup my turntable a few weeks ago) to listened to his Micro Seiki Turntables.
He is also using the big Karan monoblocks with the Karan Preamp with external power supply thru the big Focal Utopia EM speakers. I was amazed with the performance, the drive, details, the black black background and control of his system. I have never heard a turntable based system that sounded this good. It simply put my turntable system (which i thought was awesome) to shame. I must add that the Karan and Focal utopias EM are indeed an excellent combo.
I only did listened to his Micro Seiki Turntable but unfortunately did not get the chance to listen to his Walker Black Diamond 3 turntable!. His friends who were also there on that day, told me that the Walker is playing at another level.
I was also shocked with the number of Hi End Preamps (ARC , CJ ,etc...)and turntables (Micro Seiki, Simon Yorke, Full Spec Linn LP 12, etc....) in his storeroom.     

Offline deaf.eye

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 18:54 »
I have known "him" for quite some time now, but have not visited his place yet.
His nick is "P------"
;)

Offline Hyperion

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56 »
@Quest. You come through quite arrogant in your postings, don't you think?

My earlier thread consisted of a list of potential candidates at a very early stage of exploration trying to learn more about products that were new to me, which I was curious about. I can't see what's wrong with that, but you obviously can.

I had Karan pre/power on home loan for three months before actually making the investment in the monos. I've also auditioned Krell, ARC, Aesthetix, VTL and Spectral amongst others along the way, which are all available locally. I never got the chance to hear Gryphon or Soulution though unfortenately.

IIRC he had a long list.. :) but unfortunately he didn't get to hear many due to his location, and had to rely quite abit on 3rd party views.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=101395.0

I guess after looking at ASI he just picked karan. hehe

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:33 »
@Quest. You come through quite arrogant in your postings, don't you think?

My earlier thread consisted of a list of potential candidates at a very early stage of exploration trying to learn more about products that were new to me, which I was curious about. I can't see what's wrong with that, but you obviously can.

I had Karan pre/power on home loan for three months before actually making the investment in the monos. I've also auditioned Krell, ARC, Aesthetix, VTL and Spectral amongst others along the way, which are all available locally. I never got the chance to hear Gryphon or Soulution though unfortenately.
Sorry if you feel I had somehow insulted you, but don't understand why you feel I am arrogant when I was just pointing to an earlier thread - in response to mars73's question about which amps were in your shortlist, when that thread did show some of your preferences at the time. Maybe I was being a tad presumptuous, and that I can apologise for.

I never said there was anything wrong in soliciting feedback as that's the nature of the forum, and even congratulated you on your choice. If you feel even that post is arrogant as well, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22 »
If someone here has experienced matching a Karan power amp with Wilson Audio speakers, is there synergy in their sonic signatures? 

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 15:25 »
Thanks for the replies so far. I do know that the Karans go well with Focals and have heard this combination at Jay Audio. It is to my liking.

Karans  with Wilsons, I do not know of anyone who matched these 2 together.  Asking if there is anyone here in SG who has done so.

My pre is an Audio Research Ref 5 SE.  Speakers WA Sophia 3.  I am looking for strong PRaT ability, along with a touch of sweetness, quietness and control in a power amp. Driving ability is not really a concern.

Will the Karan KS180 give me what I am looking for? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal