Author Topic: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers (REAL) owner's thread - tips and info  (Read 158278 times)

Offline ivanlyf_2011

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers (REAL) owner's thread - tips and info
« Reply #645 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27 »
Thanks to all who replied. Okay I will let the system complete run in first.

So far, I think the speakers are certainly more transparent, detailed and immersive than my old Artist 5 Speakers.

Listening to pop and jazz music, my wife also commented that the bass and trumpet sound better too.

I'm Generally satisfied except for that Mozart recording...

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

Bowers and Wilkin 705S2, Sennheiser HD800, Bryston B135 Cubed Integrated Amplifier, Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier, Bryston BDA-2 DAC, Roksan Kandy K2 CD Player, Isotek Evo 3 Polaris, Isotek Evo 3 Sirius.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #646 on: August 29, 2018, 10:56 »
I suggest you let your system run in a little more before you try to change the cable.. The harsh sound might go away when the system settled down
+1
Avoiding rushing into upgrades. The room also makes a different. You can try softening it with rugs, cushions and curtains too.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline Pinky

• Snr Member
« Reply #647 on: August 29, 2018, 12:26 »
I suggest you let your system run in a little more before you try to change the cable.. The harsh sound might go away when the system settled down
Yep
+1
Avoiding rushing into upgrades. The room also makes a different. You can try softening it with rugs, cushions and curtains too.
This too
I'd also try as many positions as possible to find the "optimal" for your listening room. Of course I understand that sometimes locating them at the best listening position isn't always an option and most of us have to live with audio compromises that are less than ideal. I'd pretty much guess you've already done that  :)
I'd try other cables too that you happen to have, or can borrow, to see what differences they make before making any decisions. A cheap heavy copper variety (just as a test) will probably limit the top end overenthusiam but may well be bad in other areas. If it keeps the top end in check it's just a starting point in the search for the ideal cable. If nothing else the testing is a good excuse to listen to lots of Mozart  ;)

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #648 on: August 29, 2018, 14:04 »
Any suggestions on what rca cables to get for my B&W 705S2?

It’s connecting my Bryson BDA-2 and the Roksan Kandy K3 Integrated Amplifier. I was thinking about VDH since B&W uses them in their speakers. But am also open to other suggestions.

Trying to stick within 400 sgd.

My main genre is classical music, generally don’t have complains about my setup at present except maybe to tame the violin slightly, it’s quite harsh for a particular Mozart recording of mine.

Something with a laid back, smooth texture that won’t sacrifice the treble

My experience with the B&W 702S2 at the showroom is it has a very "lit" sound. Not my type of sound. I wanted to leave as it is uncomfortable. Wife who was with me cringed :(.
You can tame it a little but don't expect too much changes to the signature. 

Offline ivanlyf_2011

« Reply #649 on: August 29, 2018, 14:27 »
My experience with the B&W 702S2 at the showroom is it has a very "lit" sound. Not my type of sound. I wanted to leave as it is uncomfortable. Wife who was with me cringed :(.
You can tame it a little but don't expect too much changes to the signature.

Just curious - what is your genre of music you listen to?

Actually I chose the 705S2 over the Dynaudio and Dali simply because in classical music, it was able to hit the higher notes of a violin and piano which subsequently immerses me in the music better. I chose it for its brightness but just found a particular Mozart recording difficult to listen too. Hence, the search for cables for a more relaxing sound
Bowers and Wilkin 705S2, Sennheiser HD800, Bryston B135 Cubed Integrated Amplifier, Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier, Bryston BDA-2 DAC, Roksan Kandy K2 CD Player, Isotek Evo 3 Polaris, Isotek Evo 3 Sirius.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #650 on: August 29, 2018, 14:38 »
I listen to close miked vocals, country, american folks to pop.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 14:46 by kaydee6 »

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #651 on: August 29, 2018, 16:33 »
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=275792.0;topicseen

come on guys. Support the Hifi group. this is a cycle. B&W owners current and new ones.  :)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, IC17 Sub300x2
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.

Offline noahnoah

• Snr Member
« Reply #652 on: August 29, 2018, 17:16 »

Is marantz av receiver a good partner
Up with B&W speakers?

Offline zorden2003

« Reply #653 on: August 29, 2018, 21:22 »
Anyone try LM 518ia with 805d3.

Lm518ia specs:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/line-magnetic-audio-lm-518ia-integrated-amplifier-specifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPEAKER:B&W 805 D3
AMP: LM 518IA
Pre AmP: C2600
SOURCE: OPPO 105

Offline ivanlyf_2011

« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2018, 13:25 »
So it's nearly 1 month since I commissioned my B&W 705S2 speakers and thus, I'm posting an update on my experience for any users who wish to know more about this model...

So like before, the 705S2 speakers are a lot more transparent than the Adam Audio artist 5 speakers; we know each CD recording is different but this is more obvious with the B&W speakers. In addition, with the 705S2, I think I'm starting to distinguish a 'house sound' between the 3 major classical music labels: Philips, Decca and Deutsche Grammophon. For now, I prefer Decca's recording among the 3; its smoother but doesn't lose detail.

As the sensitivity of the 705S2 is higher and it sounds better at louder volume, I would recommend at least for the HDB context, that the speaker be deployed in larger rooms like the master bedroom or living room. Currently, my 705S2 is in a bedroom but I've knocked down the wall that separates it from the living room so the speaker doesn't sound too loud for the room.

The brightness that I complained about previously seems to be disappearing and the sound is getting more immersive as well. As of now, I'm enjoying my speakers and am having a fun time re-exploring all my old CDs and new CDs.

In the following week, I hope to receive my VDH The Sea RCA cables so I'll give more updates at later intervals. Meanwhile, feel free to ask if there are any questions and I'll try to answer them if I can (not a serious hobbyist yet)...

Offline ivanlyf_2011

« Reply #655 on: October 07, 2018, 19:05 »
Looks like Bowers and Wilkins has updated the 600 series with Continuum cones

https://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series

Offline ivanlyf_2011

« Reply #656 on: October 26, 2018, 09:56 »
Hi everyone,

Sourcing for advice please - recently listening to these album boxed set from Decca Recordings "Decca: The Analogue Sound". It's all classical music (this is my main genre).

I'm facing a problem of what seems like a very large recording volume range present within the recording;

i. During the 'softer' parts of the music when the orchestra is playing softly, I have to boost my amplifier volume really high to hear
ii. During the 'louder' parts of the music, the consequence of (i) is now the music is too loud and i have to quickly reduce the amplifier volume.

Just wondering if there's any way to help compensate for this issue? Does using a more powerful amplifier help?

Also - another issue: Has anyone tried using Bryston amplifiers with B&W before? Thinking of going Bryston as my DAC is Bryston and love their relaxed sound but Roksan's sound is forward sounding.

Offline Ilovehifi

« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2018, 22:46 »

Do local B&W dealers carry out promo for
Its speakers range?

Offline ivanlyf_2011

« Reply #658 on: October 26, 2018, 23:15 »
Yes, there’s a chance. Try year end and great Singapore sales period. I got mine 705S2 speakers for a discount then.