Author Topic: For all things health related, let's post here...  (Read 112636 times)

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: For all things health related, let's post here...
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 17:22 »
Wiz, thanks for the info and for taking the trouble to take a pic.  :)

Also don't always stay up to watch EPL, if not enough sleep, blood pressure will go north!   ;D

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 17:28 »
hehe, bro Francis, don't worry I do get enough sleep.   ;)
But blood pressure shoots up lately when I see Arsenal play. Maybe I should switch teams, support Barca.   ;D

Offline arcustic

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 17:41 »
IMHO, most people are confused with high blood sugar (glucose), cholesterol (LDL, HDL, Triglycerides) and high blood pressure, eventhough all of them are related to cardiovascular diseases, the number 1 killer.   A lot of people thought that by eating healthy would be the ticket to good health....the bad news is that, food only contrubutes 20% of these factors, 80% is the body.

It is highly dependent on each individual body the ability to break down our food intake and our lifestyle....this includes gout.  I'm sure we would have known of people who eat anything they want and still do not have to deal with any health issues....eventually died due to old age. 

In today context, most of our food are processed and makes it extremely difficult for our body to break it down.  Due to the high food demand in the world, all food source nowdays are modified with steroids, hormones, etc to speed up the process of growth in poultry, vegetables, fruits, etc.

Most poeple are ignorant to prevention.  In fact, most would do nothing about it until diagnosed.  They are then prescribed with drugs by doctors  These drugs can't cure the illness, they mainly suppress the condition and thus, needs to be taken for the rest of their lives.  The bad news are the side effects....easily 40 of them.  The common ones are kidney failure, liver damage.   Most patients eventually died not because of their illness but because of the side effects.

I would always encourage people to take a comprehensive blood screening minimum once a year.  Our blood tell a lot more about our body other than blood sugar, blood count, cholesterol.   It includes our colon health, kidney condition, cancer marker, etc.  This would give us the heads up on any issues that we may be having.

Lastly, I'm not a doctor....just in case if I'm perceived to be one.  However, I'm in the business of helping people in cholesterol, blood sugar & pressure management....including prevention and fat loss management.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 18:01 by arcustic »
Life is simple.....Don't make it complicated.

Offline qrm

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 17:58 »
Dont forget health insurance can make a huge life or death difference, just by luck we upgraded ours to global medical just 2 months before I was diagnosed, which meant I could choose any surgeon in the world. It would have been so frustrating knowing the world best surgeon for this type of tumour is in another country and because of insurance restrictions you have to have it done at home.   
Room 1: Onkyo 608, B&W MT30, additional PV1 sub, Crowson A300+ transducers x 4, Onkyo BD507,   PS3
Room 2:  Onkyo 608, Kef eggs 3005SE, Samsung BD 309, PS3, Samsung 55 plasma.
Room 3: PS3, Samsung 55 inch plasma
Room 4: Emotiva UMC-1, UPA-2, UPA-7, OPPO 93, B&W MT30, Pansonic AE4000 Crowson Transducers x 4
Room 5: Onkyo 608, B&W MT30, Samsung 65 inch, Samsung BD
Room 6: Pioneer BCS-FS500
Room 7: Mirage Nanosats+sub, sonos
Outdoors 1: Sonos and Bose green bucket speakers.

Offline ilovepanerai

• nature of sound
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 18:02 »
For bros with gout, maybe you can get alkaline water to drink. brand is Marvello. My whole family drank maximum level of alkalinity for many years now. The filter is expensive, $120 per pc but last like 5 months for my family of 7, but maybe good that one does not need to boil water and offset by electricity savings..

Alkaline water has certainly temp me recently, am looking at Watersource.
Good to know there's another brand to consider...

Cheers

Offline htthach

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 18:30 »
actually we should eat food that generate alkaline rather than just drinking the water. Here's a list of 12 types of high alkaline food
"It’s important to understand that a food’s ability to create an acidic or alkaline condition in the body doesn’t actually have any connection with the pH of the food itself. It’s the effect that it has on the body after it’s eaten that matters.

A high alkaline foods diet refer to those which leave an alkaline residue within the body."

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/high-alkaline-foods-12-perfect-foods-for-optimal-health

Offline VUE

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 19:29 »

I have knee problem. When ever i bent in a sitting position, it will produces some "cracking" sound.
At some point, few times i almost fell when i board the bus or walk up the stairs by lifting the foot and the other knee hurts a lot.
So i began eating this supplement by Ocean called Joint-RX, it has this active ingredient called Glucosamine and after i think 2 - 3 months
of intake, i will say i dont suffer it anymore. : ) there are other brands too, i didnt try but since this works on me, im taking it everyday.
My mom is taking it too and works for her.

Another problem of mine is, every morning my heel bone (Back of the foot) hurts really bad that i can't walk without pain for at least 15mins. I believe many people suffer from it. Easy to solve, just wear socks to sleep. Less than a month, healed. I didnt know till i suffered for quite a while and got to know it from a friend who suffered from it too : ) My wife, at first doesnt believe that it works due to socks. After forcing her to wear it, she too recovered. Now she wears everynight and have 2 pairs!

I ate supplements everyday. Fishoil, Ginko with Brahmi, Vitamin C, Chitosan Capsule and honey in the morning and try to detox once a year. As for my wife, i didnt even bother to see.. so many that she needs to split to morning and night intake. I think is ladies. For me, too much works that i lack of excerise which i think is the most important. Stay healthy and buy more insurance! not cheap to get sick...

Anyway im 37.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 19:30 »
My ex-boss also got gout. He's under medication but at times still like to take the risk of eating seafood which is rich in protein. :P

If one have gout and do not take care of it - meaning control the uric acid level, in the long term if may accumulate and solidify into 'stones' which may end up as 'kidney' stones....this is a sign that your kidney is not able to get rid or excrete the extra uric acid from the blood. Signs of renal failure if not taken care properly now.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 20:54 »
@ wiz:

Some places sell strips cheap, ask around...
A good diet means a balance, it's not totally no sugar, or treats, otherwise life is tough...

Gout is a difficult disease of rich food, and a careful control of diet will mean a lifestyle which is compatible with quality. Pain control and diet go hand in hand.

Remember, buy all your insurance before you go for tests.

As our diet goes from the frugal Asian diets to enriched sugars and carbs, oily food, red meats in large portions, we are at risk. Claim back your origins. More veggies, low GI foods and excercise!

What is GI: http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/articles/glycemic-index/

About the Glycemic Index
 The Glycemic Index (GI) relates to the way your body’s sugar levels respond to certain foods. Foods are given a rating from 0 –100 on the glycemic index with glucose in the highest position. High Glycemic Index foods (such as simple carbohydrates) will increase the body’s sugar levels rapidly whereas low glycemic index foods will increase the body’s sugar levels slowly. A good understanding of the glycemic index can assist in weight loss and help control diabetes.

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline dragonden6389

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 22:52 »
sleep is the best medicine if you are still healthy. normally on a weekends i slept more then 12 hours to charged up.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 16:34 »
Updated the guardian prices...was a bit high on the tester
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23 »
Beginning of this year I had a health scare. I had migraine so bad that I couldn't sleep much. I do get headaches at times but nothing that can't be 'cured' by a short nap. It was really bad... couldn't concentrate on anything, even movies. Then at e same time I had this twitching feeling at my heart region... weird sensation like e heart region will vibrate very fast at any moment. Scared me a lot becoz some years ago I had heart palpitations but a visit for tests at e heart centre then says everything is okay.

I really thought it was game over... Everything I was looking at was like for e last time. My wife kept persuading me to visit e doc and finally went to e polyclinic (I know I deserve to be scolded). When e doc checked my blood pressure, it was quite high. And another blood test showed high cholesterol. Had to take medication for BP straightaway to manage both fronts and e migraines are gone.  The doc couldn't find out what was causing e twitching after a ECG test and simply say it may be a muscle pull. I started thinking back what I could have done to cause that... I love reading on my bed, lying with my tummy flat on it while arching my back back. When I stop reading in that position, e twitching stop.

It's funny how stuff u constantly do when u r younger is fine but when u r older it's a diff story. Since then I have started eating more healthily - veg is a must. Since then every week I run an average of at least 15km and try to hit e gym twice a week. As I am typing this I realize I have started to become complacent again - this week haven't gone to e gym yet and have not run yet. And all e supper has come back. Sigh... A good reminder to myself to get up on my ass.

I agree with qrm that insurance is very important. I have recently bought new plans that cover hospitalization, diagnosing of diseases and even loss of income when sick. When u r sick, e last thing u want to worry abt is money. Please look into that if u have not.

Sleep is important too like what dragon mentioned but I really don't know abt sleeping 12 hours. If I don't get enough rest e next day I won't be able to function well - cant think on my feet and make awful decisions. Some years ago my pastor gave a superb sermon abt 7 good habits to live everyday. The first 3 are not religious in nature at all and I always share with my kids. One, e next day begins e night before so get enough good rest.  Okay, 2 and 3 are not health related but I will share anyway - Two, plan e next day e night before and three, how u wake up is important... Do some internal self-talk to 'dress up' your spirit and mean it.

Oh and I am 44 ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:27 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline Spunky

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 11:24 »
Recently watch some ch8/U programme...talked about men's menopause....
wasn't paying full attention but it seems like you will experience all sorts of ailment during that time....like sleep and sleep and still feel tired....
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline arcustic

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 11:46 »
Couple of people have touched on sleep which is definitely critical to our health state.  During our waking moments our nerve cells are constantly active and become more or less fatigued. Sleep gives the body cells an opportunity of ridding themselves of waste and of repairing themselves.  In fact, our body has the ability to self cure any illness it is facing.  It also influence the way we eat, think and function while we are awake.  Typically for an adult, we need 7-9 hours of sleep daily.

The other element which is very often overlooked is hydration.  A very important component that our biody require.....typically 8-10 glasses of water a day.  Between 60 to 70% of our body comprises of water.  Our blood, organs, muscles tissues require water to function properly.  I cannot emphasis enough the importance of drinking sufficeint water.  Lack of water messes up our body function....disgestion, excretion, energy, etc.
Life is simple.....Don't make it complicated.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 12:01 »
The other element which is very often overlooked is hydration.  A very important component that our biody require.....typically 8-10 glasses of water a day.  Between 60 to 70% of our body comprises of water.  Our blood, organs, muscles tissues require water to function properly.  I cannot emphasis enough the importance of drinking sufficeint water.  Lack of water messes up our body function....disgestion, excretion, energy, etc.

And because of our hectic lifestyle here, many of us turn to the wrong fluid...COFFEE....and really excessive!!
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...