Author Topic: For all things health related, let's post here...  (Read 107006 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
For all things health related, let's post here...
« on: August 26, 2012, 16:48 »
Since the mean age of XP members is thirty-something, and that should be the age one takes health issues into consideration, this thread is for all health related matters.

In our teens we feel immortal and totally invincible and in our 20s, we are too busy to think about it, and in our 40s we may be too late to protect ourselves, so friends and all, take care...

When you next stare at that bowl of laksa, char kway teow etc, perhaps it's time to share the lard and lipids with a friend, and still be able to enjoy the taste, but have less of the cholesterol...

Cheers...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: For all things health related, let's post here...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 16:59 »
One of the easiest things to test for is blood sugar levels. One can get small tester with 100 strips and lancettes for around $130. You can test the whole family once or twice a day for a month. Carbs intake is the bigger issue for diabetes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 18:19 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 17:35 »
Every year w/o fail, I will have to go for the mandatory health screening - so far I am happy to report that I got a clean bill of health. In case some dun already realize that blood pressure and blood cholesterol are two different things...but they do have some form of link.

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:26 »
Yeah, this thread comes at such a great time.

I'm only 39, but I've spent the last 3 weeks stuck at home unable to walk properly.
Had unbearable pain in my left big-toe joint, which felt like a fracture. Couldn't put pressure on the left foot, couldn't sleep properly and basically had a miserable time.

After 2 weeks of procrastination, I finally saw the doctor last week (yeah, I know I should have gone sooner, but I just had too much work to do) and he diagnosed it as gout.
Never thought that at my age I'd have gout, always thought it was an old man's illness.

Well, the moral of the story is, take care of your health and watch your diet.
These days with our changing diets and lifestyles, so-called old-man's diseases might just be lurking around the corner.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:50 »
Got bro! Join the club...got lots of ideas for you. You need lots of alkaline intake

Watermelon juice...lemon juice. Stay off sugar too, alcohol is off..especially beer.

Cherries/juice is very good. Take apple cider vinegar.

Stay away from most proteins if you can, especially offals, lamb, red meats, no shellfish,crabs etc.

I've had several attacks and it's painful as hell. Mine too in left big toe...text book gout my dr friend told me.

Not old mans disease...it's called rich mans disease...too much good food  :o
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:53 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline redryder

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21 »
I'm 38, just went for a full medical as well. It was an eye-opener to say the least.

Bad cholestrol was borderline high, just breached the "normal" level, and blood pressure also borderline - 130/80. I thought I ate healthily, staying away from fast food, deep fried stuff, char kway teow and the like. But I also have my blind spots - I love steak and desserts like cakes and ice cream.

I also haven't been exercising enough, definitely have to change my lifestyle!

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:14 »
I'm in my early 50's... And a lot of the damage that gets done is not visible or even showing symptoms in the early stages of many of these issues.

Getting your blood glucose checked should be mandatory too for all full checkups. It's so affordable to have the meter I'm surprised they don't do it like they take your temperature when you get to the dr's for anything, as if it's very high...like over 150 you should probably be worried guard less of when or what you last ate. Mine was like 192.

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01 »
For bros with gout, maybe you can get alkaline water to drink. brand is Marvello. My whole family drank maximum level of alkalinity for many years now. The filter is expensive, $120 per pc but last like 5 months for my family of 7, but maybe good that one does not need to boil water and offset by electricity savings..
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

Offline dsj88

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:21 »
If you have gout, keep away from beans  especially soya beans and nuts as well. The fastest relief is to take mobic. Works for me after 1 -2 days of this medicine.

Offline silencer13

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 16:02 »
haha, it's sort of comforting to know that I'm not alone with this illness.  ;)

Yeah, I've heard of it being called a rich-man's illness....... but then they got the wrong guy, I'm a poor peasant!   ;D
But in all seriousness, I may not be the most healthy person in the world, but I DO maintain a pretty healthy diet, don't drink much alcohol, and only eat fried stuff once in a while.
That's why it was a big surprise to me to get this illness, kind of reminds me on how fragile life can be.

Thanks for all the advise. Yup, will go get that alkaline water to drink. Anything that prevents a 2nd onset of gout will be most welcome.

Wiz, about that blood glucose tester - how does that work? Do you need to draw blood?
Think I might get 1 for myself, since my family does have a history of diabetes.

Offline qrm

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 16:26 »
Worth going for these checks, a few of my chums ( health freaks) have croaked from heart attacks so had 101 heart checks and they came back saying good news and bad news" good news nothing wrong with heart, bad news you got a brain tumour!  form the size of it it's been growing for 10 years!" 
Room 1: Onkyo 608, B&W MT30, additional PV1 sub, Crowson A300+ transducers x 4, Onkyo BD507,   PS3
Room 2:  Onkyo 608, Kef eggs 3005SE, Samsung BD 309, PS3, Samsung 55 plasma.
Room 3: PS3, Samsung 55 inch plasma
Room 4: Emotiva UMC-1, UPA-2, UPA-7, OPPO 93, B&W MT30, Pansonic AE4000 Crowson Transducers x 4
Room 5: Onkyo 608, B&W MT30, Samsung 65 inch, Samsung BD
Room 6: Pioneer BCS-FS500
Room 7: Mirage Nanosats+sub, sonos
Outdoors 1: Sonos and Bose green bucket speakers.

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 16:39 »
Good to have a full body check up every 6 months.  Don't play play with your health ;D

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 17:06 »

Got from Guardian in the OMRON shelf (normally by the pharmacy) $72.76 IIRC incl 50 strips and 10 lancettes. The extra strips are 50 for $38.50, the lancettes $3.30 for 50 they sell them there too with strips. The strips do expire so dont get too many at one time.

I was told to get some alcohol swabs to wipe yr finger first. but have read its not critical if you wash yr hands before. $6 for about 100 swabs.

try to prick the same finger on either hand...side of the tip is meant to be good. Some say the little finger is better as its tougher and less painful. Others say index or middle. I guess if you are not doing too often take your pick.

A lot of info here...and very informative http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

Some images from the site...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 16:33 by wizardofoz »

Offline silencer13

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 17:13 »
Wiz, thanks for the info and for taking the trouble to take a pic.  :)

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 17:19 »
no sweat...lucky still had the box.

I am taking my wife's readings too... and as the lancettes are disposable and the strips are one time use you can test anyone you want any time...its not too painful and its only a sharp prick then the pain is gone.

Here is a sample of my readings the last few days... quite an eye opener even you are normal. Staying off carbs makes a huge difference.

Date            Time   Reading
23/08/12   12:00   192.00
23/08/12   22:30   224.00
24/08/12   08:30   152.00
24/08/12   22:30   157.00
25/08/12   10:45   140.00
25/08/12   22:30   134.00
26/08/12   10:40   142.00
26/08/12   14:30   187.00
26/08/12   15:45   166.00
26/08/12   20:40   116.00
27/08/12   10:30   133.00
27/08/12   14:00   146.00

you can work out the basics ... some times I take a reading 1hr and 2 hrs after food...morning readings are before food.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 17:21 by wizardofoz »