Author Topic: Best USB Cable for under $800  (Read 36428 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Best USB Cable for under $800
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16 »
I think Locus and ASI also have similar principles: ie minimizing the contamination of dirty power from the data signals. But they implement it differently.

I know the ASI wouldn't work well with USB powered devices like my Wavelink. But works fine with self powered devices.

The Locus uses EM shielding material to separate the two lines. Very effective too.

There are 2 AR USB cables. The dual head 1.0SP I recall had a length limitation and it was also hard to use on some devices where the USB ports are limited. Also you can't use a clean power source (battery etc) with the AR. The ground cable needs to be the same as the signal ground from the computer.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline bigtree

• Trade Count: (+3)
Re: Best USB Cable for under $800
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:41 »
Hmm... something better arhh, what would be those that are better other than the Crystal?

IMHO, got the following.

Crystal-
Crystal USB -
Dreamline USB

Siltech -
Classic Anni.
Golden Anni.

Blacknote
Firenze Silver USB - pure silver solid core with mineral oil dielectric

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50 »
Entreq Konstantin USB +  minimus ground conditional should cost a little more than $800 but I bet it would impress you ..... Very smooth and "analog" sounding, is it "the  best" I dont know, but I have tried the AQ usb cable before and I only can say I believe 8 out of 10 will like the Entreq konstantin more....

http://www.entreq.com/default.asp?PageId=2360

I have upgrade from Konstantin ($500) + minmus to Challenger USB (listed $1.2k) with the bigger ground condition Tellme, 2.5 times more than Konstantin USB +  minimus ground conditional but it is money well spend, lot of the bad recorded chinese Pop music in my Harddisk sound very enjoyable now... ;D

Offline mickomeg

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06 »
I have upgrade from Konstantin ($500) + minmus to Challenger USB (listed $1.2k) with the bigger ground condition Tellme, 2.5 times more than Konstantin USB +  minimus ground conditional but it is money well spend, lot of the bad recorded chinese Pop music in my Harddisk sound very enjoyable now... ;D

Hi Joamonte, can you tell me the SQ difference moving from Konstantin USB to Challenger? I'm using Konstantin at the moment. Thanks
JPLAY -> CAPS v2.1 -> Bel Canto uLink -> DEQX (DeqXpert time, phase & room corrected) -> JOB 225 -> Clearwave Symphonia 7R & JL Audio f110, Gigawatt PC2 Evo, Jorma S/PDIF, Entreq Challenger USB & MinimUs, Wywires Gold, Audioquest Sub-3, LessLoss DFPC Signature, TAOC

Offline orbital

• Snr Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37 »
A USB shootout, that's cool!. So which cables emerged at the top of the list?

Locus design that day imo. Sadly, could be no more.
Take the big bite, trust your own ears, pain one time like the rest says and stay contented.

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10 »
There are 2 AR USB cables. The dual head 1.0SP I recall had a length limitation and it was also hard to use on some devices where the USB ports are limited. Also you can't use a clean power source (battery etc) with the AR. The ground cable needs to be the same as the signal ground from the computer.

I am using a 2m Acoustic Revive SP cable. I sure that is enough for most users. Not sure what length limitation are you talking about.
Anyway, all USB cables already have a length limitation of 3m or 5m depending on class, not only AR's
Listen to ~MOVIOLA~Movie themes, and ILLUMINATIONS~Relaxation

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 11:13 »
Locus design that day imo. Sadly, could be no more.
Take the big bite, trust your own ears, pain one time like the rest says and stay contented.

Noting that the Locus Cynosure starts from US$3549 per meter, I am sure the Acoustic Revive is way better value for money without losing much

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 11:22 »
I am using a 2m Acoustic Revive SP cable. I sure that is enough for most users. Not sure what length limitation are you talking about.
Anyway, all USB cables already have a length limitation of 3m or 5m depending on class, not only AR's

That's odd. When we were looking at it, the SP1.0 only came in 1m IIRC. Only the single headed one was available in up to 5m.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 11:50 »
That's odd. When we were looking at it, the SP1.0 only came in 1m IIRC. Only the single headed one was available in up to 5m.

Check Acoustic Revive Usb-1.0sp website
Mentioned at the bottom
Free for ordering any extra length.
As most conventional USB cables are molded cables, you are unable to order a specific length suitable for your use, however, you can order any length of USB-1,0SP and USB-1.0PL for your equipment because our USB cables are fully handmade by skilled craftsmen.

Perhaps you were ordering from grey sources, thus cannot order any special length  ;D ;D ;D

On the Japanese URL at http://www.acoustic-revive.com/japanese/usb_cable/usb_cable_01.html
Google gives a better english translation as
Can be freely customized length
USB cable for most of the currently marketed for mold have (molded) cable terminal and USB, can not be specified length.
USB-1.0PL this one and this one is USB-1.0SP, in order to fully skilled craftsmen produced in handmade, custom-made can be of any length.
Can get us the length to suit the environment it can be used.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:06 by hotbird »

Offline orbital

• Snr Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:08 »
Local dealer stocks for the sp model are available in 1m only, last known. unless indent request.   

Offline composition

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10 »
Locus Cynosure starts from US$3549 per meter

US$3549 I faint liao.  :o

How about the Locus Axis, more affordable, is it worth it?

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14 »
Local dealer stocks for the sp model are available in 1m only, last known. unless indent request.   

They did bring in 1.5 m lengths before but sold out. Just have to order if you need different lengths and pay for the extra lengths. Check
Acoustic Revive USB1.5SP (1.5m) USB cables SOLD OUT!

I even have a 2 m Acoustic Revive FireWire cable that I specially ordered  ;D

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22 »
Currently I am using a Furutech GT2 USB cable which I find  to be pretty good. I was wondering whether there would be better USB cable that would better my GT2 sonically and musically. I do not have the good fortunate to able to try different USB cables in my system so I have asking bros here to share their experience.

Some contenders for the best USB cable under $800 would be

1. Wireworld Platinum Starlight
2. Audioquest Diamond USB
3. JPS The Superconductor 3
4. JPS The Superconductor Q
5. Nordost Blue Heaven
6. Acoustic Revive
7. Oyaide Continental 5S Silver
Bros please share your experience.

A lot of comparative reviews has been discussed at
Audiophile USB cables
Check out the old thread above

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 12:51 »
I even have a 2 m Acoustic Revive FireWire cable that I specially ordered  ;D
can i check with u how do i know what options they have?
i have a special usb cable connector (LEMO) and i'm not sure if they can help me to fix one.

tried to email the email add on the main site and no response.
happy to order local but just wanted to check if such service is available.

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 13:00 »
can i check with u how do i know what options they have?
i have a special usb cable connector (LEMO) and i'm not sure if they can help me to fix one.
tried to email the email add on the main site and no response.
happy to order local but just wanted to check if such service is available.

They only provide Firewire400 connectors only. If you request Firewire800, they give you a thumbdrive size 400-800 adaptor for the cable. They stick a QR-8 crystal on
this adaptor to improve the performance. Guess that is the limitation, as Firewire800 probably use more cables internally (being 9 pin), and there are too many cables
to implement for such Firewire. (imagine 4 or more cables instead of 3 that are used in their current implementation of Firewire400/IEEE1394a )  ;D ;D ;D
If you want them to provide other special connectors to suit you,  I doubt they have this service as they have to consider how to interface the current 3 wires to such a special connector
Btw, all these information was provided by the local distributor who will liaise with the principal and not any direct correspondence  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 13:18 by hotbird »