Author Topic: Simple Bedroom Setup Suggestion?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline syed_cyanide

• Trade Count: (0)
Simple Bedroom Setup Suggestion?
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:54 »
Hi all! I'm contemplating between the fatman itube valve dock or Miniwatt N3. As this is a small scale project and the fact that I've budgeted myself to 1k, I'll be glad to hear some or any inputs from u guys cos I'm merely a beginner.  Oh and I've planned to pair the N3 with the Usher S-520 if its my final decision. So what do u guys think? Or perhaps a whole new setup idea?

Thanks all! Looking fwd....

Offline Keith_W

Re: Simple Bedroom Setup Suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51 »
I have no idea why amps like the Fatman iTube or Miniwatt N3 are even on the market. They are completely useless. Not enough power for any speaker they are likely to be paired with. Avoid, unless you like the sound of clipping. The only thing they are good for would be as headphone amps.

For the Usher S-520 I would recommend something with at least 20W and up.

But it would be better to get something like an Audioengine A5 or Aktimate Mini.

Offline syed_cyanide

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 16:15 »
Oh ok...thks for the input! Will surely take my time and do my homework a lil more...

Offline SL

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45 »
Try the Denon N7. It has everything CD, tuner, iPhone dock, wifi streaming, Internet radio, AirPlay etc etc. best of all small footprint and available in white. Pair it with decent bookshelves and it should be great. Bought this for my parents - easy to use.

Offline simplon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40 »
Try the Denon N7. It has everything CD, tuner, iPhone dock, wifi streaming, Internet radio, AirPlay etc etc. best of all small footprint and available in white. Pair it with decent bookshelves and it should be great. Bought this for my parents - easy to use.

roughly how much is the Denon N7?

Edit: ha okay.. i see it on the SG website.. looks not bad.. thanks..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:46 by simplon »

Offline SL

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 20:27 »
Bought this a few months back. Around $600 I think.

Offline syed_cyanide

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 22:06 »
Thks guys for ya inputs. Will check out the N7.
Question: if I push my budget to 1k for just the amp, will i be able to get any small decent tube amp?

Offline Keith_W

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 22:39 »
No such thing as a decent tube amp for $1k. The heart of a tube amp is in the output transformer. Not the actual tubes! Many people seem to miss this point. The minimum tube amp I would consider would be a Primaluna or a Melody for $2-3k.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal