Author Topic: Pioneer AVR owners' Thread  (Read 111407 times)

Offline n3wk1d

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a newbies, be nice to me....
    • Alex Steelbook link
Re: Pioneer AVR owners' Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 15:34 »
When you stream direct and pure direct, it's using the DAC from oppo. So there shouldn't have much different, be it in 5.1 analogue or HDMI.
Isn't it ? I've long wanted a Pioneer avr but the price here is the killing.
With the other option now from Hong Kong, my next purchase might be the Pioneer. 

I mean when using HDMI, do you output PCM or bitstream?  Did you try Stream direct and pure direct mode!
If you are buying from Amazon, please help me by clicking from the link    AMAZON USA  |  AMAZON UK    

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 16:07 »
If you output in bitstream, the decoding is done at the AVR side.  Stream direct plays back the source with little modification but uses a little of the MCACC/phase control options versus Pure Direct which is unadulterated sound from the source.
Depending on your taste, I find that with Pure Direct, the bass is fuller, louder and has more extension and overall sound is on the warm side whereas Direct output is well balanced.
Bros should try all the options and see what they like as their main output sound for HT and stereo.

Offline AvPip

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 17:04 »
If you output in bitstream, the decoding is done at the AVR side.  Stream direct plays back the source with little modification but uses a little of the MCACC/phase control options versus Pure Direct which is unadulterated sound from the source.
Depending on your taste, I find that with Pure Direct, the bass is fuller, louder and has more extension and overall sound is on the warm side whereas Direct output is well balanced.
Bros should try all the options and see what they like as their main output sound for HT and stereo.

Hmm ... a bit confused here ... lolz ... sorry noobie ...

I was of the understanding that when the Oppo does the converting/decoding from digital to analog, the only way to get this analog signal out of the oppo player to the speakers is through the Oppo Analog out ... into the AVR Preouts (to control volume) ... then to the speakers ... and doing it this way, the MCACC on the Pioneer AVR is not used at all ...

and I always thought that the HDMI can only carry digital signal from the source (in my case oppo), it will then use the AVR (in my case LX-85) to convert to analog and out to the speakers.

Offline francis wu

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 18:42 »
I m talking about using HDMI.  Yes, if you use analog, then the Oppo does the conversion but if you have a good THX AVR, especially on HT, my preference is the latter where there more sound options to explore.  Most HD movies' sound is mixed in digital domain and may even sound better via HDMI. 
Try outputting in Bitsream on the 95 and use pure direct on the 85 via hdmi and play some battle scenes from the Transformer's Dark of the Moon, let me know whether you like the sound or not.

Offline AvPip

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 18:48 »
I m talking about using HDMI.  Yes, if you use analog, then the Oppo does the conversion but if you have a good THX AVR, especially on HT, my preference is the latter where there more sound options to explore.  Most HD movies' sound is mixed in digital domain and may even sound better via HDMI. 
Try outputting in Bitsream on the 95 and use pure direct on the 85 via hdmi and play some battle scenes from the Transformer's Dark of the Moon, let me know whether you like the sound or not.

Thanks for the hand holding :)

So with the 95 on bitstream and the 85 on pure direct, the MCACC does not come into play ?

Is this (95 bitstream/85 Pure direct) your preferred setup over say (95 all analog or 95 bitstream/85 MCACC) ?

Can't wait to experiment ... but currently overseas ... having massive fidelity withdrawals now !  ;D

Offline francis wu

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 18:58 »
Yes, when I play high octane movies, I prefer this mode.  I switch to Direct when I m playing others and concert BRs.

I use PQLS on my Pioneer 23FD though.

Offline jefferyjoel

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20 »
hi, juz gotten myself a LX85. would any of you gurus recommend me a pair of speaker. budget 1.5k. 70% for audio, 30% for movie. music type include Celine Dion, Josh Groban, BeeGees, Sarah McLachlan, Adele & Enchanted Garden by Kevin Kern. i've audited mission mx5 & wharfedale till date & impressed by mx5 thou' many told me it's an entry-level & a total mismatched/ underutilised for LX85. i'm a greenhorn to this new interest, hence greatly appreciate all advice but pls don't flame me  ;D. thank you! Jeff

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 10:44 »
try monitor audio, b&w, dynaudio instead.

Offline francis wu

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 10:46 »
For bedroom or living room?

Offline jefferyjoel

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08 »
For bedroom or living room?

txs for responding. it's for a small living room, distance between TV/speaker & sofa is 3.3m

[/quote]
try monitor audio, b&w, dynaudio instead.

txs, any specific model in mind & approx price? any recommended friendly shop i can drop-in for audit? by e way, are you Zo from SLC? i'm alumni #66. ;D

Offline francis wu

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 12:50 »
Then my advice to you will be small room small speakers.

Everyone has his own sound preference, so best to audition as many brand as possible.  Speakers sound differently in Showroom and home environment, a vist to some Bros here to listen to their set up will help you more to decide on the type of speakers you want.  Happy hunting.

What BDP do you have to match the 85?

Offline chanfm

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 23:38 »
Is there dynamic volume or EQ in the LX83?  I can't find it.

Offline etnt

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36 »
dynamic volume and dynamic eq are audyssey stuff. you have to find pioneer mcacc's equivalent of them, if any.

Offline prodigus

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52 »
1. Francis wu - LX83 + BDF23FD
2. chanfm - LX83 + Oppo 95
3. mars73 - LX83 + Oppo 93
4. maomao82 - LX85 + LG BD660
5. dream88sg - LX85 + Popcorn C200 + Quad 12L (Bi-amp) + Quad Centre (Zone A) + Contour 1.3 Mk2 (Zone B)
6. JL7757         - LX73 + BDP LX55 + ProAc 110
7. garydrums - LX83 + BDP LX53
8. AVPip - LX85 + Oppo 95
9. Prodigus - LX83 + BDT300 + KEF-T205

Offline francis wu

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 10:56 »
Is there dynamic volume or EQ in the LX83?  I can't find it.

It's all in the MCACC.  Make sure you turn on Phase Control and Full Band to get better SQ.
As previous mentioned, output your 95 under bitstream and play with the Direct and Pure Direct mode.  Of course you must first calibrate your set with MCACC.