Author Topic: Upgraditis has hit! Seeking suggestions amidst this pseudo lockdown  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Paradox

• Trade Count: (+1)
Gratz both(Paradox and dbchoong) for getting the new avr to play during this period of time.

I am still enduring here waiting to see what is coming up for the next few months.  But i think the price of X3600H is very good.

I agree, for the price I have absolutely no regrets.

Read your thread today. Happy to say our 3600 arrived last Saturday and we've been enjoying every day of the week.  Our Denon speakers are more than 10 years old, and what a magical lift the 3600 has done.

I fully agree. Its the same thing that I've been experiencing.

##

Thank you sevenz, dbchoong, desray, rayleh, petetherock and everyone else who has contributed. I went through all all the Audyssey threads and have learnt a lot (am still lost on the BEQ part, and will read into it in the coming days).

I got poisoned again today and got myself two ADX bass shakers (thanks Pete), as well as the Dayton APA150 amp. I spent this evening setting it up, and oh my, it is great. The first time after I set it up, I forgot to switch my main subwoofer on, and didn't even realise until after my favourite transformer scene was over. The wife didn't realise it too. I guess we were too pleased with the vibrations and the novel experience this was bringing to us. When I did turn on my sub, it all just made sense - absolute awe.

I now have a question, is there a way I can connect the bass shaker to the second sub out from my AVR? I would like to do that so that I can set the delay independently of my main sub (which is connected to the antimode, and thus has quite a large delay). I've just spent the last hour or so reading tons of threads on this and multiple other forums and have no solution. From what I understand:

- POINT 1: Everyone recommends using 1 sub out from the AVR, putting a Y splitter, with 1 to the bass shaker, and 1 to the main sub. During Audyssey, switch off the bass shaker, and switch it back on after Audyssey is complete.

- POINT 2: Connecting the bass shaker to the Subwoofer Out 2 AFTER Audyssey setup is done prevents all Audyssey settings from being implemented.

- POINT 3: Connect both Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2 Outs from my AVR to my main subwoofer (left and right channel) during Audyssey calibration. After calibration is complete, replace Subwoofer 2 Out with my bass shaker. This results in some level issues, and I'd have to up the subwoofer channel manually (there are more implications, but this is the simple answer, although I don't know how much to up this by.. some are saying 3db, some are saying 6db). 

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
I think you can connect the bass shakers to subwoofer out 2. I don't think you need to do any Audyssey calibration on the shakers.
You probably only need to adjust the volume and set the low pass frequency to maybe 50 or 60Hz on the Dayton amp.

Of course, you can try the different options - sub 1 or sub 2. And see if you can feel any difference.
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline Paradox

I think you can connect the bass shakers to subwoofer out 2. I don't think you need to do any Audyssey calibration on the shakers.
You probably only need to adjust the volume and set the low pass frequency to maybe 50 or 60Hz on the Dayton amp.

Of course, you can try the different options - sub 1 or sub 2. And see if you can feel any difference.
Unfortunately this doesn't work. Connecting a second sub after Audyssey is run will make the receiver disable all Audyssey calibration. Audyssey will only work again after one runs Audyssey again (with 2 subs selected). Apparently its a common limitation of either Audyssey or Denon.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
Within the avr, I think u can only use your point/option 1 using one sub pre out & a Y splitter. I'm using this way too. If u use activate sub pre out 2 for shakers, audyssey have the be disengaged. What are your concerns in using Point 1 method?

And what bd player are u using? Does it have a sub pre out? If yes (like the oppo), I'm not sure if it will work if u use it just for the shakers. Was it ronil who tried this method B4? can't rem who... But assuming to works, that'll mean only your BD player will have shaker effect.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:16 by sevenz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Unfortunately this doesn't work. Connecting a second sub after Audyssey is run will make the receiver disable all Audyssey calibration. Audyssey will only work again after one runs Audyssey again (with 2 subs selected). Apparently its a common limitation of either Audyssey or Denon.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just use the Y-Splitter regardless of whether you are using a single or dual subwoofer setup.

Offline Paradox

Within the avr, I think u can only use your point/option 1 using one sub pre out & a Y splitter. I'm using this way too. If u use activate sub pre out 2 for shakers, audyssey have the be disengaged. What are your concerns in using Point 1 method?

And what bd player are u using? Does it have a sub pre out? If yes (like the oppo), I'm not sure if it will work if u use it just for the shakers. Was it ronil who tried this method B4? can't rem who... But assuming to works, that'll mean only your BD player will have shaker effect.

My only concern with that is the time delay of the signal. As I am also using an Antimode, the sub delay is noticeably longer than all my other speakers (Audyssey and AccuEQ pegs the sub at a distance of 3.5m, when all my other components are less than 2m away). It's a small gripe, and Unfortunately I think i will have to live with it.

I have no BD player, only using my Kodi / Plex Kodi Connect.

Just use the Y-Splitter regardless of whether you are using a single or dual subwoofer setup.

Seems like this is the only option I have!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator

It is...

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
If possible, try to get one of these for your shakers.

Placement of the shakers is everything...read more from this old thread: http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=249021.msg1199241#msg1199241. Tons of details for your read up. Enjoy!

Offline sevenz

My only concern with that is the time delay of the signal. As I am also using an Antimode, the sub delay is noticeably longer than all my other speakers (Audyssey and AccuEQ pegs the sub at a distance of 3.5m, when all my other components are less than 2m away). It's a small gripe, and Unfortunately I think i will have to live with it.

I have no BD player, only using my Kodi / Plex Kodi Connect.

oh if that's the case, no other option bro :)

I use the Y splitter method too with my shakers, dual subs, and antimode DC. But my Antimode DC is able to adjust delay of my individual subs. And my shaker shares the same sub output that goes to my nearfield sub. So far the delay on the shaker is not a problem, maybe because it is following my nearfield sub. My Dayton shaker amp can adjust xover to 40hz and delay too

Is your apa150 able to set delay?

And if your apa150 is not able to set xover, MUST GET the lpf device that desray suggested. It will make the shake more real by limiting shakers to 40hz. If not, it will also shake above 40hz and the shake becomes distracting and fake.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 13:36 by sevenz »

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
While waiting for my X3600 to be delivered, retrieved out my old Lepai LP2020A+ from the store room. Plugged them to my Polk S60 to play Spotify in stereo.... I have to say that the Lepai is pretty impressive.

Yesterday, wife said: "This small thing sounds really good. Why you need to buy a new amplifier?" ...
Think I better stop playing the Lepai... lol! ;D

Denon coming tomorrow...
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline Paradox

Placement of the shakers is everything...read more from this old thread: http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=249021.msg1199241#msg1199241. Tons of details for your read up. Enjoy!

Thanks for that, I read through the whole thread over the weekend. My Ikea sofa has a small area under the armrest which allows me to mount the whole shaker - there are even 2 pre-drilled holes which coincide with 2 of the shaker holes, so all I needed to do was to make a third hole (I only secured 3 instead of 4 holes).

I will custom make a plank to fit under my sofa once this circuit breaker ends. Otherwise if anyone knows of any shops which can still sell cut plywood, please let me know.

If possible, try to get one of these for your shakers.

oh if that's the case, no other option bro :)

I use the Y splitter method too with my shakers, dual subs, and antimode DC. But my Antimode DC is able to adjust delay of my individual subs. And my shaker shares the same sub output that goes to my nearfield sub. So far the delay on the shaker is not a problem, maybe because it is following my nearfield sub. My Dayton shaker amp can adjust xover to 40hz and delay too

Is your apa150 able to set delay?

And if your apa150 is not able to set xover, MUST GET the lpf device that desray suggested. It will make the shake more real by limiting shakers to 40hz. If not, it will also shake above 40hz and the shake becomes distracting and fake.

Fortunately my APA150 has a 50hz crossover. Otherwise, I would have definitely bought the FMOD. I was previously toying with the idea of using the zone 2 of my AVR to power the bass shakers with a pair of FMODs. If anyone is reading this, there are some comprehensive threads on AVSForum about how one can do that. For some reason I'm not very comfortable with doing it myself, but if I had a tight budget, I would definitely experiment with it.

Unfortunately no delay with the APA150, but the delay is still alright for now!

Yesterday, wife said: "This small thing sounds really good. Why you need to buy a new amplifier?" ...

Denon coming tomorrow...

Ignorance is bliss! I find it so much easier to upgrade smaller components (DACs, cables, speaker feet, etc) as the wife will not notice.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator

Denon coming tomorrow...
Make sure u do a good job in calibrating and put a smile on her face. Make her to agree that the Denon X3600 will blow her mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

Fortunately my APA150 has a 50hz crossover. Otherwise, I would have definitely bought the FMOD. I was previously toying with the idea of using the zone 2 of my AVR to power the bass shakers with a pair of FMODs. If anyone is reading this, there are some comprehensive threads on AVSForum about how one can do that. For some reason I'm not very comfortable with doing it myself, but if I had a tight budget, I would definitely experiment with it.

Unfortunately no delay with the APA150, but the delay is still alright for now!

Good that it can limit to 50hz. if u can find a way to limit to 40hz, it will be even better and the shake will be less distracting :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal