Author Topic: SINE Products Review Thread  (Read 95987 times)

Offline AvPip

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SINE Products Review Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2012, 07:58 »

So ... the good people at Qubes Audio came to my humble house and was kind enough to let me test their top of the line SINE KOSMOS Interconnects  ;D

I had them on my system for about a week, AB-ing with my incumbent NORDOST FREY IC   ;D

System:

Dynaudio C1
Plinius Hiato
Calyx DAC
MacBookPro
SINE KOSMOS IC
Nordost FREY SC
Telos Gold USB
Nordost Vishnu PCs

Right off the bat, the SINE Kosmos held it's own.
Fast and transparent, with big sound stage.
In fact, they were so close, I couldn't decide a winner in the first 10 minutes.

I had the Telos Gold IC Vs. Frey IC before in my system, in that AB, I could tell the difference almost straight away.
After about an hour of AB-ing, I concluded that the Frey was much faster and clearer, with more expansive sound stage.
The Telos Gold was much warmer, more laid back, with muddled separations compared to the Frey.

Back to the Kosmos, one week later ...

Still just as fast and transparent as the Frey, with very tight and well controlled bass.
The Frey is slightly better at separations and sound stage.
At the same time, the Frey is also more in your face.
In fact, on some tracks, the Kosmos is better to listen with ... I can listen longer with it.

I listen to Rock, Metal, Techno, Pop, House and Contemporary Vocals.
With my music selection, the Frey is still the winner for me ... only just ...
I suspect if one like to listen to Chinese vocals, Canto Pop & Classical, the Kosmos would shine even more.

I am by no means an experienced reviewer ! lolz ...

So Xp-ers out there should try the Kosmos yourself ... afterall, Qubes Audio give a fantastic no obligation home trials for their products :)

Cheers,

AvPip  ;D

Note: I'm not related and has no financial interest in Qubes Audio and it's proprietors.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2012, 11:57 »
Are the Kosmos and Frey equally priced? The kosmos also look pretty thick and inflexible. :)

Offline AvPip

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30 »
Are the Kosmos and Frey equally priced? The kosmos also look pretty thick and inflexible. :)

Hi :)

The Kosmos (1.5m) is RRP1,550 (http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=109803.0)
I bought my Frey (2.0m) for USD 900 (www.msshifi.com)

Of course with Nordost, pricing is usually tricky !
Last time local dealer quoted me SGD 2.3K for the Frey IC 2.0m ... lolz ...
Now there's also Newly released Frey 2 for sale USD 1,699 for 1.5m length (before GST and shipping).

The Kosmos is definitely less flexible than the Frey ... but more flexible than the Telos Gold IC.

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2012, 01:56 »

Got this "SA-6 ME" yesterday for friend at Malaysia, running for him now. It sound good out of box, not sound harsh at all. It is very solid & heavy. The sound are more toward warm side & very smooth sounding.

Bro who looking for distributor at $3++ priice range can give it a try, it is value for money.  :)

Sold my MTS-6 & bought a cheaper SINE SA-6 ME today (for temporary use, am aiming for the SINE Isolation Transformer). The SA-6 ME more suit my taste than MTS-6, very happy with the money spent. ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:43 by nic_wei »
Chord Electronics
Dynaudio Speakers (Stereo & HT)
Oppo BDP / Denon AVR / Panasonic Projector / OS Screen
FE Rack & Accessories / Nordost & Ansuz Cables / Sine Power Distributors

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2012, 02:09 »
Any bro who interested to buy SINE Isolation Transformer with cheaper price can register your interest here http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=112490.0  :)
Chord Electronics

Offline jmohd

« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30 »
Hi, are Sine products especially distributor-approved by any electrical certification bodies? For example, we have SPRING for Singapore and CE for Europe etc. Is it only used in Asia or all over the world? Thanks :)

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22 »
Hi, are Sine products especially distributor-approved by any electrical certification bodies? For example, we have SPRING for Singapore and CE for Europe etc. Is it only used in Asia or all over the world? Thanks :)

I don't think electrical certification bodies in SG will certify any US plugs/receptacle/distributor. :-X :-X :-X
Chord Electronics

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2012, 14:14 »

Tested SINE SAF-30A with the Blue Horizon Mains Noise Analyser at Kuching hifi shop. Main power got noise "no house run". 8)
I am interest to get the SINE SAF-30A, from the measurement it did good job to reduce main power noise. Anyone here using SINE SAF-30A? Can share what are the benefit? Thanks in advanced. :)
Chord Electronics

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2012, 14:42 »
More interested in the Blue Horizon Mains Noise Analyser.. where to buy one? :P

I read the 6moons review. Two things I caught:

1. Nobody is sure what the device is reading and how it affects sound quality. In general, filtered devices (like the furutech strip) will show a zero reading.
They compared PS Audio PPP to P10, and P10 (unfiltered) showed a number while PPP did not. I don't think it means P10 is lousier sounding than PPP though..

2. What happens when you plug in each component seems somewhat random and need testing.
Sometimes plugging in more components result in lower noise? Their experiment was that a mac plugged in resulted in lower noise than plugged out. Funny?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 14:45 by Quest »

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2012, 19:24 »
More interested in the Blue Horizon Mains Noise Analyser.. where to buy one? :P

According to the shop owner the Blue Horizon Mains Noise Analyser is not selling to end user. ???
Chord Electronics

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2012, 21:36 »
Calling all mega6 users. Just to share a small tweak info for using the mega6. The 1st receptacle is best use for source and DAC. Followed by pre and analog devices. After which the last ones for power amps. Using this allocation sees hears the best out of your power strip.
ProJect Q.

Offline composition

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2012, 22:55 »
Calling all mega6 users. Just to share a small tweak info for using the mega6. The 1st receptacle is best use for source and DAC. Followed by pre and analog devices. After which the last ones for power amps. Using this allocation sees hears the best out of your power strip.

Interesting. How did you come to this conclusion?

For my Mega6:

1st outlet: Popcorn Player (only for movies)
2nd outlet: Audio PC (only for stereo)
3rd outlet: unused
4th outlet: unused
5th outlet: DAC (only for stereo)
6th outlet: AVR (only for movies)

What you you think?

Offline DJQ

• PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2012, 00:47 »
No wonder you did not hear the best out of it. keep it dedicated only to Stereo equipment. when you say Audio PC meaning as desktop computer with switching power supply? i always feel there is a hum generated by the PSU.

anyway with what you plug in, you should be using the SAF-30A power conditioner.
ProJect Q.

Offline nic_wei

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2012, 11:15 »
For my power distributor:

1st outlet: CD Player
2nd outlet: unused
3rd outlet: QA Plugs
4th outlet: unused
5th outlet: Pre Amp
6th outlet: Power Amp
Under power distributor: Ceraball x 3
Under power cord connected to power distributor (near to IEC): Cerabase Compact x 1 (Extra piece lying around)

IMHO addind footer under power distributor will help to improve the sound. Just my 2 cents. :)
Chord Electronics

Offline kalibur

« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2012, 13:27 »

What happens if its done the opposite way; namely 1st Receptacle is the power amp, 2nd is preamp and so on. Have you tried it both ways? How did you come to that conclusion?