Author Topic: Lets talk about food - places, pics and opinions  (Read 490596 times)

Offline landis1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lets talk about food - places, pics and opinions
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00 »
sashimi anyone? :D

great pictures and the sashimi looks great. care to indulge us and tell us where this can be found. my current haunt is the cheap $20++ japanese lunch buffet at tarafuku in 313 building. considering the price, the sashimi is surprisingly good ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:04 by landis1 »

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 11:06 »
Gosh. That is like swallowing a whole bottle of fish oil capsules....

i did something sacrilegious, since i do not eat anything raw, i pan seared a slice.. it was dripping with tuna oil

great pictures and the sashimi looks great. care to indulge us and tell us where this can be found. my current haunt is the cheap $20++ japanese lunch buffet at tarafuku in 313 building. considering the price, the sashimi is surprisingly good ;D
do they have nice cooked food there? :D

Yes, please. Where's this from? Looks like chu-toro or something. Isetan? I love their sushi.

wow jimi, you have a good eye, yes its from isetan. Isetan had a kyushu fair from 6th to 19th september, and every other day, one of the sashimi stalls there will fly in a ~50kg farmed blue fin tuna whole, and perform a dissection for customers to view. the box's a combination of kamatoro(from tuna collar) / otoro (from belly)

maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11 »
I guess no one is "glowing" from eating all the fish from Japan ;)

The local appetite for Jap seems to be back. Just think you can tell where the fish has been, what other fish it has eaten.. food for thought...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline landis1

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 11:17 »
do they have nice cooked food there? :D

cooked food? decent for the price you pay. and where to do japanese buffet lunch with sashimi for only $20++. as with all restaurants,  the tell-tale sign that it is good, as in this case, is seeing japanese patrons there ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:20 by landis1 »

Offline landis1

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 11:23 »
I guess no one is "glowing" from eating all the fish from Japan ;)

The local appetite for Jap seems to be back. Just think you can tell where the fish has been, what other fish it has eaten.. food for thought...

most japanese restaurant owners will tell you that since long time ago, they get their fish supplies from scandinavia and elsewhere

Offline jimi

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 11:28 »
I enjoy Akashi at basement of Paragon for its Omakase dinner (around $120ppax) which I believe is fairly good value. This includes a good spread of fairly large cuts of sashimi (otoro, sweet prawn, salmon belly etc) + another 4-5 courses which the chef will prepare. Especially like the korobuta pork with thin udon soup.

Thats a nice price.

For the more money conscious, but maybe less food/ quality, I find the omakase at Nara to be pretty good. only $55 ++, last time I went.

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/nara_japanese_restaurant_goldhill_centre/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 23:50 by jimi »

Offline jimi

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30 »
most japanese restaurant owners will tell you that since long time ago, they get their fish supplies from scandinavia and elsewhere

Actually this is quite hilarious.

If you go on to the HK websites, there are people who are mocking these restaurants who previously were proud to say/ imply that they had the freshest fish from Japan as during the crisis time they stated that all the while their fish was from other sources LOL!!

Offline jimi

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48 »
i did something sacrilegious, since i do not eat anything raw, i pan seared a slice.. it was dripping with tuna oil

wow jimi, you have a good eye, yes its from isetan. Isetan had a kyushu fair from 6th to 19th september, and every other day, one of the sashimi stalls there will fly in a ~50kg farmed blue fin tuna whole, and perform a dissection for customers to view. the box's a combination of kamatoro(from tuna collar) / otoro (from belly)

Ha ha! what can I say- my midriff tells the whole story.

Please do not post that you cooked that lovely sashimi!!  :o :o

There is such a thing as Aburi Sushi- which I also love.

Actually even for normal sushi, I prefer the rice to be a little warm and the fish to be very cold. Seems to add a certain shiokness. I've never been to Japan so I wonder if this preference is a big no- no or not?

Offline domj

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53 »

Actually even for normal sushi, I prefer the rice to be a little warm and the fish to be very cold. Seems to add a certain shiokness. I've never been to Japan so I wonder if this preference is a big no- no or not?

Yes, in japan, the rice is just slightly warm and fish is very cold. The chefs make a sushi very fast to avoid handling the rice n fish too much else heat transfers from the hand to the sushi. Sitting at the counter watching the sushi chefs prepare your meal is most satisfying.  :)

Offline jimi

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2011, 12:06 »
Yes, in japan, the rice is just slightly warm and fish is very cold. The chefs make a sushi very fast to avoid handling the rice n fish too much else heat transfers from the hand to the sushi. Sitting at the counter watching the sushi chefs prepare your meal is most satisfying.  :)

Tks bro, glad to see the Japanese have (my) good taste- LOL! ;)

Cold rice does not taste nice and has a different mouth feel. I can see why the Japanese like to sit at the bar for sushi and omakase

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15 »
Me no fan of raw stuff but my wifey loves her sashimi.  Over e weekend, we tried this Japanese restaurant in the basement of Parkway Parade.

Sorry I can't remember e name... it's between Gramo and Swensen's.  She says it was really good and reminded her of our Honeymoon in Japan.  I think that's a pretty good review eh  ;D
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline landis1

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26 »
If you go on to the HK websites, there are people who are mocking these restaurants who previously were proud to say/ imply that they had the freshest fish from Japan as during the crisis time they stated that all the while their fish was from other sources LOL!!
ya man

no offense to the brother but it is almost like paying top dollar for a grade 5 wagyu beef steak and drenching it in steak sauce ;D

Offline landis1

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 12:34 »
Me no fan of raw stuff but my wifey loves her sashimi.  Over e weekend, we tried this Japanese restaurant in the basement of Parkway Parade

sakuraya fish market is another good place to satisfy your sashimi cravings cheaply. but through the years i still prefer their outlet at the village centre ;D

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 13:17 »

yup i cooked it, but only one slice :P each slice averaged about $9.

aburi sushi is the closest to raw food that i eat, and i prefer it well "torched" :P
maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 13:23 »
Me no fan of raw stuff but my wifey loves her sashimi.  Over e weekend, we tried this Japanese restaurant in the basement of Parkway Parade.

That's Sakuraya... their other branch is at West Coast plaza. They also have a restaurant in Anchorpoint (different pricing...).

For dirt cheap salmon sashimi, go to Changi Airport Terminal 1 staff canteen... corner staff. $6
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html