Author Topic: Driving into Malaysia  (Read 32533 times)

Offline ridz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Re: Driving into Malaysia
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2018, 07:49 »
Hi all,

Planning to go into JB tomorrow to buy KDK Ceiling fans for the house and like to know from fellow bros who have been to JB lately.... if I go in from Woodlands side around 10 am and come out ard 4 pm, will I avoid the jam and traffic?

Thanks for the information and sharing !

Regards
Angelo

That is a good timing but I normally use Tuas checkpoint as entry point and Woodland as exit.  Quite a few lighting/KDK shops around Tampoi area (Jalan Titiwangsa 3/1)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2019, 23:55 »
VEP finally comes in October?
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-to-implement-vehicle-entry-permit-for-foreign-vehicles-entering-from-singapore

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia will enforce mandatory registration for foreign vehicles entering from Singapore from October, the government announced on Thursday (April 25).

The long-debated vehicle entry permit (VEP) scheme is expected to be carried out in three stages, beginning with the Causeway and Second Link followed by the Malaysia-Thai border and then the border between Malaysia with Brunei as well as Indonesia.

The government on Thursday did not say when the VEP will come into effect at the other borders.

The plan to implement a VEP at all Malaysian land borders have been delayed several times because the authorities said they needed more time to fine-tune the system.

It has been under the testing stage since last year.

"The VEP for each registered motor vehicle will be valid for a period of five years," the Ministry of Transport said in a statement on Thursday.

Vehicle owners can collect and install their VEP radio-frequency identification (RFID) tag at four designated centres in Johor Baru, namely the Gelang Patah Southbound rest stop, the Plaza Angsana Open Carpark, the Pandan rest stop and at the Lima Kedai Toll Plaza.

In its statement, the ministry said the VEP would be issued by the Road Transport Department (RTD) under Section 66H of the Road Transport Act 1987.

“Registration for a VEP can be done online via https://vep.jpj.gov.my.

“Once registered, the owner of the vehicle will receive an e-mail notification to schedule an appointment for the installation of the VEP-RFID tag.

“Only VEP registered vehicles are allowed entry into Malaysia once it is put into force,” the statement said.

Vehicle owners will need to bring required documents to collect their VEP-RFID tag.

The new Malaysian administration had intended to implement the VEP by end-2018. An auditor-general report last year attributed the VEP delays to the previous administration's 200 per cent hike in operational expenditure for this project alone.

When the VEP was first proposed by the previous administration, a RM25 (S$8.20) one-time fee was mentioned.

Singapore charges a S$35 VEP fee per day for every day after the first 10 days in the Republic.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline petetherock

« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2019, 12:18 »
Good news, we may see toll cuts... yes.. the VEP may come, but it's up to us to focus on half or half empty..
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-cabinet-to-discuss-toll-cut-options-next-week-amid-internal-tussle-over-plans

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2019, 23:33 »
SINGAPORE: People frustrated with the process of registering for Malaysia's Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) have complained about lengthy waiting times, a lack of appointment slots and little help from the  authorities.

Malaysia announced in 2017 that all foreign-registered vehicles entering the country will need a VEP, meant to tackle car theft and cloning syndicates and prevent vehicles with outstanding fines from leaving the country.

After a delay to “fine-tune” the system, Malaysia’s Transport Ministry said in April that the VEP will be enforced from October.

NO APPOINTMENT SLOTS

But people have been complaining on social media about the "chaotic" registration process that requires an excessive amount of information and inconveniences drivers because of the need to cross the border to complete the process.

Those invited to book an appointment in Malaysia to install a radio-frequency identification (RFID) tag for the system said they have been unable to do so, suggesting that all appointment slots have been snapped up until the requirement kicks in on Oct 1.

Only VEP-registered vehicles will be allowed entry into Malaysia once the system is implemented.

According to Malaysia's Road Transport Department’s (JPJ) website, failing to register for VEP is an offence that carries an RM150 (S$49) fine.

READ: Unclear if Malaysia's Vehicle Entry Permit requirement will apply to all land borders: MOT
In a HardwareZone forum thread dedicated to VEP, user BeyondTheSky posted on Tuesday (Sep 17) that appointment slots were fully booked until the end of September, while dates for October were unavailable.

At least four other people reported the unavailability of appointment slots.

On a Facebook post detailing steps on registering for VEP, Yong Zhi Tan commented: “Just logged in to see and all slots are red now. I guess I have to (pay) the RM150 fine if they don’t postpone.”

WEBSITE CRASHING, HELPLINES UNRESPONSIVE

Malaysia’s Transport Ministry has said that setting up a VEP requires a "simple three-step action".

The first step is setting up an online account and entering the vehicle and owner's details; next is receiving a confirmation email upon successful registration; the final step is booking and attending an appointment at designated counters in Johor, where the RFID tag will be installed.

READ: Malaysia to implement Vehicle Entry Permit for all foreign vehicles from October
But several people said they had issues registering on the website.

Facebook user Edelyn Teo said the VEP portal on JPJ’s website was prone to crashing. “Been trying for forever … The website keeps timing out and logging me out,” she wrote. 

When CNA tried registering for an account and logging in, the website had trouble loading on several occasions. 

Others expressed concerns about a lack of response to calls and emails asking for help. CNA's email on the initial website issues went unanswered. 

Facebook user Seong Kit said: “Best part is their VEP hotline. Can’t get through. Been calling them for days. If I can get through, I think I will strike 4D, TOTO and Big Sweep.” 

Once logged in, motorists will need to enter their vehicle details, including their Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and engine information. While most details about the vehicle can be retrieved through the Land Transport Authority's (LTA) One Motoring website, some information - such as the number of axles on the vehicle - was not readily available.

People on social media have questioned the need for so much information, with some concerned about the sensitivity of the data.

“What does COE price or car price have to do with VEP?” asked Facebook user Es Lim. 

“VEP registration is asking for a lot of private information,” added J Chang Thai Man, expressing concern about potential data leaks. 

After submitting the vehicle and owner's information, CNA received an email from JPJ stating that “you don’t need to do anything for now until you hear from us again”.

“We will soon announce the date and location where you can collect your VEP RFID tag via VEP website as well as other channels,” it added. 

USING REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION SLIP

Some have successfully registered for the VEP from as early as July, but have yet to receive an invitation to book an appointment. 

A JPJ official said in an email seen by CNA that drivers who have been unable to book an appointment can use the registration confirmation slip as a substitute for the VEP RFID tag when entering Malaysia.​​​​​​​

One concerned driver had sent an email to JPJ and got a reply saying he will first receive a “tag collection invitation email”.

“You will receive the invitation according to the order of registration,” the email said. 

“You may use confirmation slip as substitute to the VEP RFID tag … Until then, you can continue enter Malaysia as you usually do.” 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/malaysia-vep-deadline-registration-vehicle-entry-permit-11918248

My gear:

Online Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2019, 07:11 »
Change political master also still same same. Set compliance deadline, threaten visitors with fine. Lousy planning, poor execution by the civil servants. Really ”tak boleh”.

Keeping my visitor dollars away until the dust settles.

Did the haze contribute to “no more slots”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline comfortablynumb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2019, 13:10 »
That cuntry will never progress as long as R&R (Race n Religion) prioritse over the economy
For sure, there will b VEP extension.
those jokers can never do things properly and right the 1st time

Their fiber is also pathetic..... Highest speed is 500Mbps
800mbps cost aboyt Sgd 100/mth
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Offline petetherock

« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2019, 13:16 »
They will make it happen when tourism drops
Waivers maybe .. heh

My gear: