Author Topic: Fibre set top box  (Read 9122 times)

Offline liverpudian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fibre set top box
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2019, 19:51 »
Any Moca adapters user mixed Actiontec and Motorola adapters and still get them to talk to each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering getting MoCa adapters to make use of the existing coaxial points in the house & cames across in Amazon's Q&A for the Motorola adapter that MoCa adapters across different brands should work with each other.
Guess good to know esp for those already using the more expensive ActionTec & are considering adding more adapters in the house.

Question: Can you mix these adapters with pre-existing moca 2.0 adapters? i have two actiontec adapters already and i want to add the motorola's to my lan.
Answer: Model MM1002 will work fine mixed with other MoCA adapters.

MTRLC LLC Seller · November 20, 2018

Offline liverpudian

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2019, 20:07 »
Main 'problem' I face is while I found a 1-In-2-Out splitter in the Starhub box outside my house, there is another locked box on top of this box where the coaxial cables run thru before coming into the house & I suspect that might be another splitter in the locked box since I have 5 coaxial points in the house.
If that is true then might have problem isolating my moca network signal unless I wait till June when SH officially decommission their coaxial network & there is no worry that I might introduce interference into the network. But this also means my data will 'spill' out & is 'visible' to others connected to SH's network :(.

Offline liverpudian

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2019, 20:24 »
For Starhub, they only open port 1 for internet. Port 2 is for TV if u activate fibre tv. Port 3 and 4 is not activated. So u will not get signal. U should get signal if you plug direct into port 1.

Tks for all the help. I can swap out the cable and turn off the wifi router.

If you plug & unplug different devices to the ONT too many times, it might affect your fibre connectivity which cannot be resolved by simply rebooting the ONT but will need SH to perform some kind of flushing on their end.
Encounter this issue when I was doing some testing shortly after switching to fibre BB. According to the technician I spoke with (not sure how accurate this is), each time I plug in a device direct to the ONT, it will assign a new IP address to it & when done too many times repeatedly, it will create some backend problem (cannot assign anymore new IP addresses?) & hence SH need to flush out all the unnecc IP addresses assigned previously.

Not sure if this is common amongst SH fibre users but it is something my friend & I experienced & thot will share it here for awareness esp if you plan to plug & unplug PC/laptops/routers to the ONT rather frequently.

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2019, 17:36 »
Main 'problem' I face is while I found a 1-In-2-Out splitter in the Starhub box outside my house, there is another locked box on top of this box where the coaxial cables run thru before coming into the house & I suspect that might be another splitter in the locked box since I have 5 coaxial points in the house.
If that is true then might have problem isolating my moca network signal unless I wait till June when SH officially decommission their coaxial network & there is no worry that I might introduce interference into the network. But this also means my data will 'spill' out & is 'visible' to others connected to SH's network :(.

login to your moca adapters and turn on encryption. your neighbours wont be able to join your network unless they have the same password.

of course, the best would be to physically disconnect or have a filter.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2019, 22:54 »
So is anyone using multiple VLAN's on their switches to carry the IPTV around the house?

Saw a post here a few down with a graphic which is close to what I would be doing.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/home-network-setup-5996777.html
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2019, 13:57 »
I tested this VLAN option out as the Starhub install is scheduled for early next week. Worked fine with another router serving DHCP addresses and should be fine for the 3 IPTV boxes.

Anyone know how the IP addresses are determined on the IPTV boxes or is one the master maybe and the others slaves?
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2019, 23:14 »
I tested this VLAN option out as the Starhub install is scheduled for early next week. Worked fine with another router serving DHCP addresses and should be fine for the 3 IPTV boxes.

Anyone know how the IP addresses are determined on the IPTV boxes or is one the master maybe and the others slaves?

they should be getting the ips from the service provider dhcp server, just like how your internet router get the public ip from your ISP dhcp server thru the ONT port.

but it could be private IP, as iptv service does not need public routable ip addresses.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2019, 00:08 »
was thinking about it while I was out and this makes sense as its an all private network so probably non routable addresses will be case.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2019, 12:07 »
Anyone know if the WD recorded shows disks contents are readable on the new Iptv set top boxes? Starhub couldn’t say for sure, and suggest formatting it fresh on the new box but still have shows want to watch.